1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Walter Woods

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Basstimg, May 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Basstimg

Basstimg

Dec 3, 2013
    Cornwall
    Hi guys does anyone know the year this amp was made ? The serial number is 021600 and I believe it's a Electro acoustic blue light amplifier, 1200w.

Attached Files:

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    No idea, but unlike the many previous models every Electrocoustic I've seen looked the same, no idea if the innards have ever been changed. I don't know when he started making them, mine is around 15 years old and has no serial number visible on the outside.

3. Basstimg

Basstimg

Dec 3, 2013
    Cornwall

Thanks Brian.

Someone mentioned that there may be a post on this site with the schematics for this amp. Do you if that's correct as I'm considering purchasing one but concerned about anything going wrong and not being able to get it fixed in the UK

4. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    The Electacoustic amps made their debut in 1998. I had one from the middle of that year, a transitional model which had the Electracoustic two-channel preamp feeding the earlier MI-series mono power section.

If memory serves, the amp the OP mentions was made in 2002 based on the serial number.

Walter thoughtfully slipped a folded-up copy of the schematic into the chassis of the MI-series amps. Any EE worth their salt should have no problem fixing one of those amps, provided that it's possible to source suitable replacement components, some of which are quite outdated and obscure.

He grew more protective of his designs around the time he introduced the Electracoustic series amps, and began scraping the values stamps off the components while building the newer amps, in an attempt to frustrate anyone seeking to reverse-engineer his designs. From what I'm told, he occasionally updates and changes his designs. There are threads here on TB showing the innards of various WW amps.

From what I understand he's still working and will repair most of his models for a nominal fee (again, assuming components are available, which sometimes they are not) but at some point, absent a successor, repair services for WW amps will simply become unavailable.

I loved the three I had, but sold them because I didn't want to have that much money tied up in amplifiers that could potentially fail. (They almost never fail. I'm a bit of an alarmist.)

5. Basstimg

Basstimg

Dec 3, 2013
    Cornwall
    Thanks for your reponse you sound like me an alarmist !!!! Not sure whether to take a risk though :) so you think the picture and serial number I posted means it's a 2002 model ?

6. KUNGfuSHERIFF

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Don't get me wrong. They were the best-sounding, most dependable amplifiers I've ever owned, which is not a short list.

But my logic was: free up this money to make it available for anything my kids might need, or leave money locked up in amplifiers that, potentially, could become paperweights one day should they fail and repair not be possible? Your money is your money; spend it how you wish.

The amp in your photo could well be a 2002, but the power indicator light looks green to me, which would make it the 300W model, the lowest-powered mono amp in the range at the time. What's the asking price? A well-known TB member has a green light model in the classifieds for $1200 US including domestic shipping and a Mooradian carrying case.

7. Basstimg

Basstimg

Dec 3, 2013
    Cornwall
    Hi thanks for your reply it's advertised as a blue light ? Do you not think it is ?

It's priced at about £1500

I was looking for a larger amp than the 300 as I play with a really loud band and the upright just isn't cutting through wi lower wattage.

8. KUNGfuSHERIFF

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Walter watts are special watts. The 100W red-light model I had was ridiculously loud for that power rating, assuming decent speaker sensitivity.

What kind of cabs/speakers are you powering?

Are you using a low-pass filter? One of those will do a lot to clean up the subsonic muck that can really sap amplifier power.

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Guitar Player magazine once bench tested a 100 watt model delivering 150 watts before onset of clipping. I doubt any mass market amps out there deliver 50% over their rated power. In other words, Walter's ratings are very conservative. I own a green light model (300@8/450@4) and have never run out of power, even outdoors with no PA support.

10. Basstimg

Basstimg

Dec 3, 2013
    Cornwall
    What do you play Brian EB or Upright ? Kungusheriff I currently have a GK mbe and extension and it just doesn't cut it at all for the new band i am playing with. So need a while new set up. I don't use a filter ATM I have an ehrlund with its pre not sure if it has one on it or not. TBH I'm not the best with electrics and prefer acoustic sound but I'm thinking I need to start focusing on Amps and all that area to get a real quality sound I can work with as using the GK is truly hampering me on gigs and really effecting my playing as I am over heavy to compensate

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  11. KUNGfuSHERIFF

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Before you shell out all that money for a new rig, pick up an fDECK preamp...it's a filter and impedence blender with a very transparent sound.

12. Basstimg

Basstimg

Dec 3, 2013
    Cornwall
    The stick on mic I have the ehrlund does have a pre with it and most people in uk say that's enough and I don't need one isn't it more for piez. i am a bit concerned about having a line of ehrlund pre : fdeck pre : amp pre will it work ok ? and do I need One ? Here is the link for the ehrlund :

PREAMP - Ehrlund

13. KUNGfuSHERIFF

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Ha! Wouldn't it be great if all you had to do to kill feedback is flip a switch? {eyeroll}

I see nothing there about frequency filtering, so at the very least that would be an asset if you choose to add an fDECK to your signal chain.

14. Basstimg

Basstimg

Dec 3, 2013
    Cornwall
    Ah ok thanks I will track one down. Anyway back to the Walter woods ;)

KUNGfuSHERIFF likes this.
  15. With Walter Woods, IIRC the serial number is the manufacture date. Thus 021600 is Feb 16, 2000. And the amp in the picture seems to me to be an amber light model with a black cover, which would make it a "super hi power" version with 450W/8 Ohm or 650W/4 Ohm.

Best
    Sidecar

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  16. Basstimg

Basstimg

Dec 3, 2013
    Cornwall

17. Basstimg

Basstimg

Dec 3, 2013
    Cornwall
    Thanks sidecar

Very helpful info. You sound like you know a bit about WW. What would you think an amp like this would be worth ? And is this amp the same as earlier models and the parts are going to be obsolete soon ? Obviously being in uk And buying an amp which is already 16 yrs old I am a little concerned that if something went wrong I light not be able to get it fixed !!' Any advice gratefully received.

Best

Tim

18. It exists on almost any amp. It's the power switch.

Povl Carstensen likes this.
  19. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Tim,
    I'm sending you a P.M..

MrSidecar and Basstimg like this.
  20. KUNGfuSHERIFF

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Best laugh I've had all day. Thanks for that.