Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wanting to add another piece, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Feb 10, 2004.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I normally don't post "What should I do?" questions at TB, because I usually do know what to do, but I have a question;

I have been practicing with a new band for about 2 months. I'm only in this band for the money. At last practice, two of the guys mention about adding a 5th piece. (another guitarist) I'm really not down with the move. I don't think we need another piece. I really don't want to quit right now though, because it feels like I just wasted 2 months getting this band gig ready. Our first show is this Saturday. I guess an extra guitarist is going to be joining us. I was looking foward to the pay, now I'll be making squat and I'll probaly make enough money to cover the gas on the gig the I play the week after. Our singer made the argument that "The better the band is, the more we'll get paid". I don't buy that at all. I may be young, but I've been in this business long enough to know that a bar can only fit so many people and it will not pay you more money regardless of how good you are.

What do you think I should do? Should I start hunting for another band? Stick around and see what kind of gigs get booked? See if the others change their minds?

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Are the other guys also in it for the money? If they're just doing it for fun, it's a classic case of "artistic differences". I'd suggest looking for for an opening with something like a functions band - how long that takes will decide how long you've got to hang around and see if anybody's mind is changed.

Wulf

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    So this extra guitarist is just going to show up and play??? Now way, if your Clapton than sure but how is this guys just going to show up and play if it took two months for these guys to get gig ready. Make the point, we need to slowly work this guy in, then it gives you time to decide if you want to hang in there or shop around for another band.