1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wardrobe malfunction

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by R&B, Mar 18, 2013.

1. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Yesterday I learned why bassists should not wear sport coats with buttons on the sleeves. Between songs, I was in my chair behind the keys player at church and rested my left arm on the neck of the bass. When I moved my arm, the cuff button snagged on the E string. Fortunately my wireless transmitter was muted. :D No 41 Hz explosion.

Sweaters from now on baby! :bassist:

What's your bass-related wardrobe malfunction?

2. The funniest one I have seen actually happened to my drummer but since I was standing next to him and witnessed it I think it qualifies. We were playing at a place where the back of the stage (where the drums were set up) projected out onto the sidewalk and it was all windowed. The issue arose because the drummer in the band usually goes commando. We were playing one night and I looked over at him and noticed several girls at the window looking down at him, laughing. I looked around and couldn't see the reason. Then the door guy, who was taller than the girls, walked over and waved at me and pointed down at the drummer. I stepped closer and looked down and noticed his junk was hanging out the bottom of his shorts. I started laughing so hard that I almost stopped playing. I managed to get his attention and told him what was going on and he turned beet-red from embarrassment. We had a good laugh later about that.

3. I've ripped buttons off button up shirts by snagging them in my cab grill loading in many times. apparently I don't learn to pick them up from the back of the cab.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Thankfully there were no wardrobe malfunctions at the show. The afterparty, however...

5. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    My shorts fell to my ankles mid-song....thankfully I never go commando.

6. Not bass related: my son is our drummer. During one performance I suddenly heard the kick drum disappear and the remaining rhythm getting slightly erratic. I turned around to see what was going on and somehow he had gotten the beater caught up inside the leg of his jeans. It was snagged on something that prevented him from simply lifting his leg up, which forced him to try and play one handed while he used the other hand to free himself.

Gotta give him props. He was 9 years old at the time and already knew that you don't train wreck no matter what happens. :)

7. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Nothing too bad. I wear ray ban wayfarer sunglasses when playing outside, and when I sweat they tend to slide.
    My first instinct is to try and catch them, because they're kind of expensive, but I just let them drop.
    They've fallen off a few times mid song, and I toe-nudge them aside because I don't want to step on them.

8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    My guitar player got the hem of his pants caught in his wah pedal, hilarity ensued.

9. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    I had a gig in Milwaukee with a band based out of Indiana. The second we got to the venue and I stepped out of the van- RIIIIIIIIIP! I looked down and had a new giant hole in the crotch of my pants. Hours from home and with no extra jeans on hand, I did the only sensible thing, which was putting my backstage pass over my crotch hole. Needless to say, it was a night full of innuendos.

10. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    I'm still searching for an ideal three-quarter length shirt, so my sleeve stops hitting the strings accidentally.

11. BAce

BAce

Jul 31, 2012
    Checked into the hotel the band was staying at, and 20 minutes before we were to leave for the venue got my jeans caught on a sharp edge protruding from the air conditioner. Ripped my pants (and my leg, and almost my "gear"). Thankfully I had a spare pair of jeans (and a bandaid). Hotel manager was so upset at my almost becoming a soprano that he knocked 50% off the price of the room. We all had a good laugh about it afterward.

12. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Millions of years ago, working as a bartender, we were taught to roll up our sleeves outside-in because the exposed surface remains clean, smooth, and uncluttered; there are no exposed folds to accumulate debris that could fall into someone's drink in violation of local health codes.

As a bassist, I still roll 'em outside-in because it looks almost tailored, and it leaves nothing to catch on strings. ;)

13. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Watts the big idea! :)