Warm and subtle overdrive - pedal suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zippydog, Oct 17, 2021.

1. zippydog

zippydog Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Chicago
    I’m not looking for grindy or gritty. Just a warm-up with a light touch of breakup that responds when I dig in. I’d also like to be able to mix clean signal and effected signal to taste. Suggestions? Thanks!

Zbysek and Runlikegregg like this.
  2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    No clean blend, but I'll always suggest the Spaceman Saturn VI.
    Excellent light overdrive.
    No clean blend needed, IMO.

The Way Huge Pork & Pickle has a "clean" blend, but it's not a dry blend. The clean side is flavored, apparently based on the Neve 1073 console. The clean side can actually clip on its own. Running it at a bit higher voltage, like 12V, helps out.

3. Iommian

Iommian Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2019
    I’m a big fan of the DOD 250. Mine has been modded with the mojo mod (grey spec). Very touch sensitive and a some what smooth taper into breakup.

As well, a lot of people seem to really like the Spaceman Saturn on bass. I personally haven’t tried it but many have suggested it for that particular application.

Also there is the Damnation Audio MBD-2, I’ve used it more as a tone shaper with dirt but it can do a really nice low gain drive if needed, extremely versatile pedal.

4. wncBass

wncBass

Jan 2, 2015
    North Carolina
    fairfield barbershop or bearfoot blueberry, both are great

banoonoo, REV, SixtyCycleHum and 3 others like this.
  5. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth Nothing to fret over. Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Are you going to be running this overdrive into a solid state or tube head? Edit: according to your profile, you use a Genzler Magellan 800, is that correct?

6. zippydog

zippydog Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Chicago
    yes, correct!

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    If you want to keep it in the Genzler vain, you may want to check out the 4 On the Floor. :D

8. Smurf-o-Deth

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Not a fan of the drive channel, or just looking for something else?

9. Smurf-o-Deth

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    The MBD-2 is certainly versatile, but even at low gain settings, I would not call it warm. It has a crunchy and scooped character. It does play nicely with solid state amplification, though.
    Both are very different, but both could definitely meet the stated goal of warm, light breakup (and sound nothing alike in the process). The Barbershop is very transparent, where the Blueberry (and its derivatives, like the Blackberry) has a dark, greasy character that is inherent to the sound.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  10. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    Around here "warm and subtle" is often synonymous with "Southampton fifth gear," or at least it was for a while. No blend on that guy though. I think you'd find that it's fairly transparent, and doesn't color the tone enough to necessitate a blend.

Bassman Spiff, smogg and zippydog like this.
  11. Lowend65

Lowend65

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Believe it or not, The EHX Bass Soul Food sounds like what you are looking for. Under $125 and shockingly good. Most everyone runs it with the treble near all of the way down

12. Anemic_SluG

Anemic_SluG Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Washington
    For a very light breakup OD take a look at the Way Huge pork loin. Also has a clean blend and can be very subtle.

gmarcus, Bolsyo and Adagietto like this.
  13. NorthTexasBass

NorthTexasBass Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Dallas / Fort Worth
    Two Notes Le Bass. I use it in cold fusion mode 90% of the time for just a little tube breakup. Very touch sensitive and it keeps the low end better than any other Distortion/OD pedal I've used. Very natural sounding, and can do crazy or clean as well.

14. Jam pedals Lucydreamer.

JazzyJacuzzi and Rich67 like this.
  15. moon-bass

moon-bass They call me El Jefe Supporting Member

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    Check out the Crazy Tubes Locomotive. Clean blend, tube based, very subtle barely there to very dirty. Sounds to be just what you are looking for.

HazeGray likes this.
  16. themickster

themickster

Oct 4, 2015
    England
    Boss BB-1X has blend, can do a little drive and doesn't kill the lows

SixtyCycleHum likes this.
  17. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    The full format spark will do this.
    I searched for a long time including trying many many of the “hot names” until I found the spark.
    Warm as you want, subtle as you want, and very keenly priced.

18. LukeSlywalker

LukeSlywalker

Jun 9, 2014
    Get a Boss LS2 and then you can use any OD (plus any other effect) and blend it with your clean signal. This was a game changer for me. I have in loop B a TC Sparkplug into a Broughton Fliptop or SV Pre to get a number of different OD sounds. My clean signal is Loop A. Mix to taste

Nashrakh likes this.
  19. Marihino

Marihino

Mar 25, 2010
    London
    TC electronic Spark, the 4 knob version. @jmjbassplayer seems still happy with it too.

20. fjbolebruch

fjbolebruch

May 27, 2020
    I like the Earthquaker Westwood

Datsgor likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2021