Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth factory finish?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rodent, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    For those who have built their own bass using a pre-finished Warmoth body -

What did you think of the finish quality?

I'm contemplating ordering a pre-finished body and have no reference to the quality of the finish work. The quality of their parts I am quite impressed with, but I have never seen a pre-finished body. I searched for previous posts covering this issue, but turned up a blank - if there is already a thread covering this do LMK.

TIA for any feedback ...

R

2. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    I've ordered a strat body (3tone sb) & neck (amber) years ago and the finish was a good as one could wish it to be.

3. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I got this body from their Thrift Shop (now called Showcase). I think it's one of the nicest blue bursts I've seen.

[​IMG]

4. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I purchased 2 Warmoth bass bodies with gloss finishes. Excellent work and very fairly priced!

5. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    This neck and body are from Warmoth:

[​IMG]

Came out better than thought.

This is from Warmoth also:

[​IMG]

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    IIRC, Wilkins does the finishes.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Nope, Wilkins doesn't do Warmoth's finishing. I believe that do it all in-house.

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

They have a nice large selection in colors.

9. I saw that bass. It's beautiful. If it had a jazz bass pickup on there I might be tempted.

I've finished my 2 Warmoth bodies myself (with oil) but I've heard that Warmoth does a very good job. I like checking out their showcase from time to time, some really nice work in there.

10. I saw that on BassNW's site. Great looking bass. Is the neck a Warmoth as well? Is it possible to get finished replacement '70s Fender Jazz necks?

11. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    If anyone does a better finish, I have not seen it. I have 5 warmoths now with 3 on order. I love their quality, no question about it. If you want PM me directly I'll help you out.

edit(jt): skating a bit close to the thin spam ice :).

12. Thanks, man. That is a sick bass. I hope it finds a new home soon.

13. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Thanks for all the encouraging news on Warmoth pre-finished bodies! I'll probably be placing an order on Wed for the pre-finished body I've fallen in love with.

I'm ready to begin assembling a new bass - just not ready to also tackle the job of producing a quality finish at this time. Pics to come when it's partially completed ...

R

14. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I've heard warmoth does fantastic finishes.

By the way KICK ASS AVVY beadgc!

15. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    We had Wilkins do some work for us years ago before we had our own paint facility, so there is a grain of truth here.

Now we do have a very nice finishing department in-house. As a matter of fact, the spray booth is right across the hall from my office! I am reminded of this every Friday, when they shoot basecoats... ah, the smell of polyester in the springtime... :)

17. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    [​IMG]

Nice! Is this a Dinky J body?

18. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I swear I saw some other paint options listed on warmoth, when I went back to look, they were gone. Does anyone know if there are some other paint options coming up at Warmoth? Bwbass?
    Any chance Warmoth will ever offer Nitro finishes? I wonder if the lack of in house assembly has something to do with Fender's trademarks? maybe?
    Warmoth stuff rules...

19. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    We have zillions of paint options that aren't on the paint portion of our site... we're finally getting around to building a new paint site that will detail all this stuff. For a few days when we changed the look of the site, we inadvertently had some navigation links up that said "Candy" and "Metalflake" and such, but they were for pages that didn't exist yet. Stay tuned! The Showcase (especially the strat body section) is a good place to see some of our new finishes for the time being.

Our gloss neck finishes are actually nitro now... you'll see that the newer finished necks in the Showcase have "nitro" in the paint description. All our body finishes are still urethane, as are our older Showcase necks that just say "gloss."

To answer your assembly question: Yes. :)

edit: By which I mean, "Yes, we don't assemble anything because our Fender license prohibits it."

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Brian is the man to ask he has it down. :)