1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warmoth J-Bass Project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snakecharmer, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    PPS: post pics when you get the parts.:hyper:

2. Snakecharmer

Snakecharmer

Apr 27, 2010
    No problem, you can count on that.

Moreover, I would like to know if the results will be the same with the Preamp Pedal and the Inboard one ?
    Because the tonehammer interesses me a lot.

3. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    How come no one said J-Retro? Amazing preamps.

4. I was curious about this as well, so I built a Nordstrand 3 band pre into a pedal to see if there was a discernable difference. There was indeed a difference, neither was really better than the other, just different.

My understanding is that the ToneHammer is based on the OBP, but redesigned as an outboard pre...versus what I did which was build an onboard pre into an outboard.

Either way I think you'll be happy with sound you get out of your Warmoth jazz. I just finished mine and couldn't be happier.

l_4b2bdb9d4eb3473bbbc16ccab5c9753e.

5. Snakecharmer

Snakecharmer

Apr 27, 2010
    Very nice one :)
    I'm sure that I will be very happy with mine , but I want it to be perfect ... So i'm asking a lot of questions :D
    How many time did it take for you to have it made ?

6. Overall it took me about 3 months, but it could have been finished much quicker. The longest part for me was deciding on how to finish the body. Will you be doing the tobacco burst yourself or having Warmoth do it?

7. Snakecharmer

Snakecharmer

Apr 27, 2010
    I think I will have it made by Warmoth. I could See the results with some French Warmoth Players, and it seems to me very good work.
    Are you happy with yours ? Can you tell me with which kind of bass ( in term of quality ) it is comparable ?

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Your english is better than many posts here every day. Vastly better than a few.

9. Snakecharmer

Snakecharmer

Apr 27, 2010
    Thank you very much :)
    I try to be as clear as possible ... :)

10. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Theres nothing wrong with Agular preamps, i have used an OBP-3 with different basses and it sounds really good IMO.

11. +100 I have 2. And they are made in Europe (UK).

http://www.east-uk.com/

12. Snakecharmer

Snakecharmer

Apr 27, 2010
    It's very expensive IMO. I am not quite sure that ordering an audere in the USA could be more expensive :confused:

Do you agree with the "fact" that Funk = Passive ?

13. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I actually prefer outboard preamps/pedals. Allows you to shape your tone but removes the temptation to play with boosting the bass "just a smidge more" on this song. Bass boost is like crack. Very addictive and before you know it, it is killing you (well actually your tone, but you get the idea).

Plus with outboard preamps, you can easily swap out a preamp if you want to try something new without doping any physical work to your instrument. Heck, you could have a couple just for variety.

14. This was pretty much my thinking when I built my Nordstrand pre into pedal form.

15. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I say go solid korina body. I love that stuff.

I use an in board pre with my tone hammer. the TH sounds so good I am strongly considering bypassing the inboard pre with an active/passive switch.

16. Snakecharmer

Snakecharmer

Apr 27, 2010
    I don't really know what to think about the black Korina solid body.
    I love the sound of 70's Jazz bass, And i Think Ash /Maple Would be quite much closer ...

17. if you have the cash and fancy Wal-like tone controls:

http://www.acguitars.co.uk/index.php

I got mine from Brian at Bestbassgear.com

It is the most flexible preamp I have found so far. It does not do passive however....

18. ca donne un peu plus de force au son.

19. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah you're probably right about that. My korina tele sounds more like a mahogany les paul than a tele. I like the looks for a top wood too though!

20. Snakecharmer

Snakecharmer

Apr 27, 2010
    très bon Français :)

Yes it is really magnifical with a burst !! :)