1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warmoth J-Bass Project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snakecharmer, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Snakecharmer

Snakecharmer

Apr 27, 2010
    Hello everybody,

First of all, I am french so please forgive me for my bad english ... :bag:

So, My project is quite simple. I would like to make a great bass that I could keep for a while, and this in order to play funk, Hip-Hop, R&B, Motown etc ...
    So, I chose to make a J-bass, especially because i wanted one of those growling sounds.

I would like you to tell me if my choices go in the way I expect, and also to give me some advice. :help:

So , here is what I would like to Do :

Body : Swamp ash + Black Korina Top with a tobacco burst.

Neck : Maple Neck + Maple fingerboard.

Passice electonic. As it comes to the Pickups : I don't really know what to chose between Simple J-Bass and Split-coil Ones, Or even between Fralin, Nordstrand, or Seymour Duncan.

Bindings : Leo Quand Badass bridge, Schaller tuners etc ...

Do you think this would be good for the style I want to play ?
    What kind of pickups do you recommand me ?
    Any advices more ?

Adrien. :bassist:

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Warmoth builds are great basses. Consider Lollar pickups.

3. Snakecharmer

Snakecharmer

Apr 27, 2010
    Thanks, but I don't really know where to find them on the web.
    Moreover, do you think that a Aguilar OBP-3 preamp with an Active/passive switch would be useful ?:confused:

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
  5. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
    i can't help with your question about the electronics, but that black korina is going to look amazing with that tobacco burst!

6. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    Aguilar + Nordstrand = Yes.

7. mokkat

mokkat

Jan 22, 2008
    The Glockenklang internal preamps are pretty cheap in europe

8. Snakecharmer

Snakecharmer

Apr 27, 2010
    Any Soundclips to guide me ?

9. Snakecharmer

Snakecharmer

Apr 27, 2010
    Ok, So I decided to take some Nordstrand NJ4 pickups.
    Now, problem is that I don't really know which Aguilar preamp to Take : OBP-1 or OBP-3. I heard that OBP-1 could be more suitable for J-Bass, Is it right ? :help:

10. faiz0802

faiz0802

Mar 24, 2009
    London, UK
    M not sure about the Aguilar preamps, but I've heard the Audere preamps are crazy cool... you could check them out.

11. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
  12. Snakecharmer

Snakecharmer

Apr 27, 2010
    Audere preamps seem to me very complicated to use ... I can't get what is the point with those Z-mode :S
    Then, it is very important to me to have this type of configurations :
    Vol(Stacked with active/passive) , Blend, Mid, Bass/High.
    Can I do this with Audere preamps ?
    What goes wrong in this case with Aguilar preamps?

13. I loved my jazz bass that had an audere jz3 + nordstrand nj4's!!!!!! Awesome combination!
    The Audere preamp is cheap too.

14. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    +100
    This is my favorite combo and few basses set up like this.

15. Snakecharmer

Snakecharmer

Apr 27, 2010
    Is it possible not to use the LED ? ( I do not really want to drill a hole)
    Is it possible to add a Passive/Active Push-Pull Knob stacked on the volume for example?

16. gruvit

gruvit

Jan 14, 2009
    Richland, WA
  17. Snakecharmer

Snakecharmer

Apr 27, 2010
    I know, but my J-Bass will be "rear routed" so ... No place for those kind of preamps :meh:

18. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Dunno about the other preamps, but I love the Audere JZ3 in my Jazz V. The z-switch is really uncomplicated. It just gives a little more "umph" (I dunno the word for that in French) to either the highs or the lows, with the middle position being transparent, close to passive in voice.

Mine has vol-blend/mid stack-bass/treble stack, but other configurations are available. Installation is so easy, a caveman can do it.

The rest of your choices seem pretty solid...much like the way I'd spec one for myself. Make sure you get a fake Fender waterslide decal. :bag:

19. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    IME, a boost only pre like the OBP-1 is alll you will need as long as you have a passive tone knob still (and a passive/preamp defeat switch). Honestly, having sweepable bands of EQ sounds good in theory but usually only clutters up the instrument IME. I have a Larkin with a fixed band of mid EQ onboard and I don't even touch that. In general, I've had better results with getting my mids from the amp and then using the onboard EQ to adjust my highs/lows. Puts the focus more back on technique and less on knob twiddling and results in better tone 9 times out of 10. Hell, you ought to be able to adequately adjust your mids by playing with panning your pickups alone.

Boost only works just fine for lows as I've yet to encounter a situation where I want to cut the low end unless it is to tame a boomy room. In that case I am zeroing in on those frequencies at the amp. Passive tone knobs just sound better at cutting high end than active electronics do, so a boost only treble preamp works just fine too. Additionally you can simultaneously boost your treble actively and attenuate it passively which can sometimes yield a pleasing result.

Another preamp to consider that is boost only is the Sadowsky.

If you want to stay passive both the Sadowsky and Aggie pre's are available in outboard DI formats.

PS: Nordy pickups really are worth the coin. I've been using the NJ4SE's (hum cancelling, more low mids than single coils, a little less top end) in my fretless J for a couple years now. Big difference between them and the stock Fender pickups. Big difference.