Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth necks...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sundogue, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'm going to be building a Jazz bass...one piece at a time.

I currently own an MIM Fender Precision, and while the neck is alright, it could be better. So I decided to replace it.

But, I figured why not own both a Jazz and a P-Bass? But, I can't afford to buy one, nor the parts to make one...all at once anyway.

So I'm going to get a Jazz neck for my P-Bass and play that until I can afford a new Jazz body and the hardware. Then I'll put the old P-Bass neck back on and assemble my Jazz.

I've never ordered from Warmoth before, and I sent them an e-mail with questions, but if anyone has built basses with Warmoth parts I'd appreciate any tips, info or experiences in dealing with them and their products.

Thanks.

2. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I builded a bass with a warmoth gecko neck, very nice quality..
    Check out warmoth's showcase, you should be able to find something for a good price :)

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As far as quality, they're top notch. Nino Valenti uses mostly Warmoth bodies and necks on his basses and they play phenominally. Valenti #87 has been claimed by me because of this.

4. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I have 2 complete Warmoth basses and a J neck on another. They are second to none for quality. I did the same thing as you way back when.

Definitely check the Showcase - good deals on premade stuff.

5. ryanl

ryanl

Mar 28, 2005
    man I would love to make a jazz with a custom neck but I'm hesitant buying a neck that I haven't seen before. Especially since I want to go with a unnormal neck...

In retrospect this has nothing to do with your actual question, but I'm curious about the same things you just asked too...

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I looked at the showcase...they have one similar to what I'm looking for.

I want a standard Maple neck and an ebony fingerboard (fretted).

When you order a neck, do you get to choose the size fretwire, or are the standard necks pre-made (aside from the showcase ones)?

Also, when you get a neck from them, is it pretty much complete and ready to install (aside from truss rod adjusting)?

I'd rather not have to slot the nut. I'd just want to mount it to the body, put my tuners on it, string it up and adjust the truss rod.

7. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've flirted with this idea in the past. Take an ok bass like a MIM Fender P or J and gradually transform it into yr dream axe. But how cost effective is it really in the end? I'd see what's up with eBay for some Warmoth deals.

BTW, after you replace the neck then body; what next? Pickups? Bridge? Tunners? Any particular neck, fretboard, and body wood you going for?

r

8. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Yesyes, you do get to choose the size fretwire, i think the necks
    do not come standard whit a nut unless the showcase discripition says so..
    Except for that, the necks are pretty much "plug & play"..
    Well.. Mine is :)

9. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    I have gotten a both Fretted J-bass and a Fretless J-bass Necks from them and they were outstanding ...and yes you can choose the fret wire size and order it with a nut ...I would hit there site and read up

10. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, for me...it's not about the TOTAL cost, but what I can afford as I go along. I'm not terribly thrilled with my current P-Bass neck. It's alright and functional...no twists or warping.

But I thought, I can't just afford to buy a bass outright. And with having four kids (one, a 9 month old), saving for one doesn't really work as whatever I might squirrel away ends up getting used for something "more important" eventually.

But (my wife agrees with me on this), it ain't that expensive for a new neck. We can afford it right now. But I thought, why bother just replacing the neck on my P-Bass when I'm going to build my own Jazz at some point?

So, I'll get the Jazz neck and use it on my P-Bass. Somewhere down the road I want a rear routed Jazz body, with some kind of figured laminate top. I love working with and refinishing wood. So, when I have some extra cash, I'll get the body.

Then after that, I can get the rest of the hardware. Once I do that, I can put the P-Bass neck back on the P-Bass, and build my "dream" Jazz. Which is funny 'cause I kind of like P-Bass necks more than Jazzes, but I'm getting more used to the Jazz neck on one of my guitarist's Jazz basses he lets me play.

11. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Before you go any further I suggest you read everything Warmoth has to say about their necks - there's a lot of info there. It would answer some of the questions that are in this thread already.
    One thing they suggest is a fret leveling after you get it. All they do is press them in (and they do a good job at that) but they don't guarantee they'll all be perfectly level, though folks have had some success just mounting them the way they are. I had mine leveled because I figured in the long run it's a do-it-once-and-forget-it thing (until a refret). I have 3 J necks (an all Bird's-eye Maple, a Padauk/Ebony and an all Macassar Ebony) - none have needed adjustment since they've been mounted several years ago. Great stuff!

12. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I have read up on it, on their site...but it doesn't implicity state that the necks come with a nut, or that you have to seperately order one. There is no place on their site that shows pricing for nuts or a charge for installing one (just a page that shows nut materials and the associated qualities of each). I've installed nuts on necks before, but I'd like to just have them do it, so I just need to finish it and install it and set it up.

They have one on their showcase that is pretty much what I want...but it's $20 more than the one I could just have made ($183)...plus I don't want any position markers. I like the look of the dark ebony as is. I love the look so much, I'm almost tempted to go fretless (without lines)...but that won't work for the sound I want.

They charge quite a bit for finishing...so I'll do that myself.

13. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    My guitarist does fret jobs (and all kinds of guitar work) and he could do the nut as well. I've read as much as I can, but their site doesn't have all the info I'm looking for. I've also e-mailed them.

I won't be ordering for another week or so, so I have time.

14. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    i've always wanted to build my own bass.....
    the gecko six sting neck is lookin real tempting right now

where can i get fret wire or does warmoth put it on before they ship

and

i like smoother finishes, what kinda of stuff could be used on a maple neck

15. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    From what I gather on Warmoth's website, you pick what size fret wire you want and they install it (no extra charge).

The necks come unfinished and they'll do it (look at the "Finishes" link). I'll just poly spray mine myself and save $75.

16. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Their parts are terrific. The neck joint and body is routed to such precision, you almost do not need screws to hold in place.

I bought a neck with stainless steel frets. This was a mistake. They are clangy and sound different than nickel steel. Not good different. IMO stay away from stainless steel frets.

17. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    Excellent necks and bodies.

Keep in mind the most important thing is the skill of who puts it all together.

18. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Thanks for the tip. I was curious about their "gold" colored fret wire, which they claim wears about the same as their nickel/silver wire. On my "eventual" finished Jazz, I want it all to be brass hardware, so I thought the gold fret-wire would look cool. But an extra $30...I can live without it. :)

19. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've refinished and experimented on all kinds of basses and guitars over the years. I made my own body once, but never really wanted to make a neck...a tad bit more work than I want to do. I've removed frets and made fretless neck out of fretted ones.

My current P-Bass is undergoing a refinish job at the moment...which is what prompted my wanting to replace the neck...which, in turn made me think of building my Jazz.

20. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    As you may have noticed, despite what I've read others say, there are really no great deals in the Warmoth Showcase. You're better off just ordering whatever you want; it's hardly any more expensive. As to your question about the nut, I'd just call and ask them. I know in the past Warmoth would not install a nut, but I believe that has changed. Apparently, they will also drill holes for attaching to the body, again, something they didn't do in the past. Like I said, give them a buzz. I've got a Warmoth Jazz neck on a Warmoth Precision body and it's an amazingly well balanced instrument. I did have the headstock cut 2+2, however, so I could use Gotoh tuners. Good luck with your search, and don't forget eBay.