Warmoth Owners Club!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iriegnome, Jun 8, 2008.

Tags:
  1. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nice!

I always thought a carved top Dinky Jazz would be amazing...anybody else with me?

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Mine was a birdseye maple Precision body with a birdseye maple/ebony fretless neck that I got in from the Warmoth "clearance" back when they were mailing out mimeographed fliers...1985 or so? It weighed a ton and sounded great, and was my first adventure in putting together a bass, but it's long gone...

iriegnome and Kitsapbass like this.
  3. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Yessir! The clearance section was called The Thrift Shop. Overruns, unclaimed orders. There wasn't a lot of stuff there but upon occasion...
    I grabbed this P body - unclaimed! Had to have it as soon as I saw it.
    Black Korina w/Quilt cap, light scratches on the back from getting shuffled around, and the price was right! Had them add the J rout and it's still a favorite.
    Blue Fr CU A1.jpg

4. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    I started getting the Warmoth catalogue in the mail in 1986 from a bass player magazine add. I ordered my first bass in 1988. The body is long gone... I modded it out of existence but I still have the neck on a new Warmoth P body made in the 00' s.

Freshly made in 1988
    Image (85).jpg

As it looks today
    20190606_124917_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    fretno, knumbskull, iriegnome and 4 others like this.
  5. pjbassist

pjbassist

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    @Datsgor very cool! My avatar bass is an '88 Warmoth P and also Double P pickups like your was! I still have it, love it and just played it Tuesday night at a gig. I think the Warmoth P bass bodies were a bit smaller back then, which I prefer...do you agree, or am I crazy?

I also have a 2018 Warmoth P Bass with P/Reversed P pickups and a 2021 Warmoth P bass with EMG 35-DCs.

Datsgor and iriegnome like this.
  6. Datsgor

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    Nice and yes, they were a bit smaller. Over the years the bottom horn has gotten more bulbous too. I made mine a double P because of a B C Rich I had, what was the inspiration for you? Here is a very old picture that shows how slender the horns were back then compared to a regular P.
    1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    EagleMoon, iriegnome and Protagonist like this.
  7. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have a White Korina 1 piece carved Dinky P. Bought it around 1999. Tried to buy another one, but they say they do not make them. Still got it. Modulus Genesis neck on it..

Datsgor likes this.
  8. pjbassist

pjbassist

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I actually bought it that way from the gentleman who had it built. I had never seen anything like it, and am quite happy that I happened upon it.

Also, thank for the photo of the difference in size...I think you can see the same thing in the pic of the triplets. 20210212_105022.jpg

fretno, mysteryclock, TK4261 and 3 others like this.
  9. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    So bring it back! It's a beautiful, compact shape and if you've got the CNC programming still laying around you'd probably sell every single one you made.... in addition to selling every single one of everything else these days!

Root 5 likes this.
  10. Datsgor

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    yea, it's seriously slim pickings these days.. (not on the guitar side though ) and I agree, I would order a carved top dinky P the minute they announced that they were making them again. It makes no sense to not offer them.

11. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Counterpoint - I can see where the ones with the figured lam tops could be a lot more labor intensive since you've got to make one pass through the CNC, vacuum-glue the top onto this honestly pretty complex shape, then clean up the whole thing before finishing. Maybe it was just too much of a PITA to keep doing? Now - they could always dip their toes back in by offering solid body/color combos only on this one which would save all the fussy lamination glue work....?

12. Datsgor

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    Or, don't make one until somebody orders one and then price accordingly. A PITA fee....:D

BlueTalon likes this.
  13. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Commercial User

Oct 1, 2007
    PNW, USA
    Warmoth - Marketing Director
    It was almost our worst-selling model, topped only the 8-string bass neck. :(

murphy and pjbassist like this.
  14. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I can see where something tricked up like mine could price itself out. As I recall, the body - Mahogany (beautiful piece), upgraded 5A Quilt top ($200), amber tint w/taped off edges (everything's an upcharge) - was @$800.
    Note: the Quilt is 1/2" thick at the body. To do the carved top it's got to be 1" thick in the middle. It was pricey then, but IMHO worth it. With stage lighting this thing explodes! What's the upcharge for a plank of 1" thick 5A Quilt these days?

These days it just might not be worth it. Buying a body for what you could buy a decent complete bass for....

BUT...is is truly a pleasure to play. The body shape balances beautifully. Warmoth hit a home run with an excellent but apparently un-economical shape. Like I said, it's my #1 and I am gladI was able to get it.

smallbutmighty likes this.
  15. smallbutmighty

Oct 1, 2007
    PNW, USA
    Believe it or not, it actually costs money to offer a product and that doesn't sell. Even if we weren't making them for the in-stock showcase, you still have to maintain the offering on the website. A certain amount of dev time gets used up every year on that alone, and we weren't even selling enough of those two items I mentioned to offset that cost.

Maybe someday we could do a limited batch of a dozen or so Carved Top Dinky P's, and just put them in the showcase. Even with some pent up demand that might be out there, I bet they would sit for years before selling through.

As far as the showcase levels, the entire thing is slim pickings. This video explains why:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    murphy, Jebberz, Protagonist and 2 others like this.
  16. Datsgor

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    Great video, thanks for posting that. I was able to build a bass this last year from the showcase and I am glad ya'll are staying in business and that business was good for you all this last year. I see about the carved dinky and expense, thanks for explaining it.

17. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I myself have paid the Warmoth PITA fee a couple of times to get something that was exactly what I wanted but not offered as an option on the website. The three-pickup jazz body in my avatar is exhibit A.

Really? How does something like that take up any dev time at all once it has already been created and posted? I would have thought that something like that would be pretty much fire-and-forget -- you develop it, and then it stays exactly the way it is until there's a need to make a change. Unless I'm missing something?

It's entirely possible that I'm missing something. And if I am, it wouldn't be the first time.

Kubicki Fan and Datsgor like this.
  18. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    How many of us would it take to commit to have a run happen?

Datsgor likes this.
  19. pjbassist

pjbassist

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    @smallbutmighty Thank you SO much for that excellent explanation of what is causing the short supply! What a great problem to have...we LOVE Warmoth!!

Datsgor and Root 5 like this.
  20. smallbutmighty

Oct 1, 2007
    PNW, USA
    It usually happens because while the low-selling offering is just sitting there doing nothing, the landscape is changing around it....and those new rules have to be adapted to that product, just like all the rest.

Taking the Carved Top Dinky P (CTDP) as an example, about five or six years ago Warmoth changed how we build carved tops. We went from 3/4" solid figured wood tops to our Double Lams, which use a 1/8" figured piece over sub-lam of non-figured wood. As a result, we had to create new CNC programs for all carved tops models...including the CTDP. Then we had to updated the website to acknowledge the change...including the CTDP page.

Another example might be offering a new bridge rout. You have to program this bridge rout for all bodies, including the CTDP. But does it actually work correctly on that body, with no conflicts? Well....I guess we have to build one to find out. Then you have to update the offering on all the bass bodies on the website, including the CTDP.

Now you've spent a bunch of money on a body that sells maybe four or five units a year.

Hope that makes sense.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021