Warmoth: Undervalued?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny Fila, Oct 19, 2005.

How would you value warmoth products?

Poll closed Oct 26, 2005.
  1. undervalued. new or used, my final answer.

28 vote(s)
  2. overvalued. new or used, my final answer

15 vote(s)
  3. A bargain New from warmoth.

6 vote(s)
  4. A bargain only if used (about 50% of new).

28 vote(s)
  5. I don't like Warmoth either way.

12 vote(s)
  6. I like Warmoth, but would pay Nino to build it.

42 vote(s)
  1. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I love my Warmoth basses, whether I bought them used or built them, and, as many of you know, many builders, such as Nino, here on TB use their product. However, I think that there exists, perhaps misconception is the word I want, an undervaluing of the warmoth product and I wonder why that is.
    What say you guys?
    I'll also try to use a poll, somehow.........
    hopefully I used enough choices for everyone, we'll see.
  2. sjoakes

Nov 25, 2002
    saint paul, mn
    I think you are referring to their lack of resale value...

To which I would say, their drop in value comes with the uncertainty of the skill in which the part were assembled.

The assumption is that most warmoths are assembled by someone who doesn't necessarily have a ton of experience building and setting up basses/guitars. That uncertainty translates to loss in value.

The exception to that rule is with people, such as Nino, who have been building a reputation of quality work. So when their name is associated with warmoth, the value increases.
  3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    they devalue at the rate as most customs devalue id say. Its a bass built for a specific person, so its not gonna be everyones cup of tea, its just different when a 5 grand custom bass devalues to 3 grand and a warmoth that the parts cost $500 devaules to $300. I agree wtih sjoakes also, im not ever gonna buy a bass built by sumone i dont know from parts, nino is exempt from this.
  4. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    I believe that Warmoth makes very good parts, and from what I've seen of Nino's basses, good finishes as well. From a resale standpoint, I think Warmoth basses have a low value because most people are not Nino or Filakovsky. There are plenty of poorly assembled Warmoth basses floating around. That is going to drive the resale value down unless the builder has built a reputation and distinguished him/herself as an expert "assembler".

There are several guys on a local level that can do a good job putting together a parts bass. One or two could probably do a great job. If I bought a bass from them, it would be an excellent value for the money as an initial purchase, but because nobody has ever heard of these people (outside of the local level), the resale value would not be worth much more than a Warmoth bass I assembled myself. Once resale value is included, someone would probably take less of a (or perhaps the same) total financial hit after buying and selling
    a Sadowsky Metro. You'd be out a few hundred bucks over the complete cycle.
  5. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004

Said it in way fewer words than me.
  6. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    excellent answer I beleive.
  7. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I have built and sold several basses from warmoth... I agree about the reasons given for resale but we all know what they can do if done properly.
  8. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
  9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've played a Warmoth parts bass that was assembled by a local luthier that was totally amazing. But, with that said, the resale value on them is enough to scare me away, and as others have mentioned, the lack of qualified builders or assemblers has given these parts bass manufacturers a bad name to the point that you can't ever sell them even in a bind. If you're going to buy one and keep forever, or at least a very long time, I wouldn't hesitate, but since I buy and sell quite often, these basses just wouldn't work for me because of the resale. I would bet though that a used one would be one heck of a value though.
  10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No carrots option? What's talkbass coming to?
  11. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Next poll I do phil, will have carrots AND peas
  12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I think Warmoth makes excellent parts. My only complaint is their lack of options for basses.

Unless the original builder did some major damage, i.e. drill thru the headstock, major scratched, IME, a lot of thier "damage" may be reversable. Plugs the neck holes, brigde holes, re-drill, re-wire, good as new.
  13. RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Peas, carrots where's the beef??
  14. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I love my Warmoth stuff, top notch I say.
  15. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    There's no option for fair value????

I think they are excellent products at a fair (not bargain, and certainly not overpriced) price.
  16. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Yes, I purposely left that out as I felt it might get too many responses and make the others null/void.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Their stuff is as solid as a rock.
  18. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I love Warmoth stuff. You can't spec a bass from any vendor quite like you can with Warmoth. Pick a body, pick a neck, pick ANY pickups, hardware, preamp, etc. Sweet.

PS - I've got one for sale assembled by Nino at a great price...
  19. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I agreee with this statement as well ...

The first couple of basses I built were made from Warmoth bodies and necks. I had trouble selling them for what I had in them and when they re-sold as used the value was down around $400 to $500.

As I built a few more basses and did a bit more custom stuff I found that the name I had made for myself (although very small) made the re-sale value of my basses go up a bit more in line with used production basses.

I am now going the next step and doing custom body shapes and headstocks so we will see if that uniqueness adds any value in the market place. I certainly hope so ...

My first Warmoth, S/N 01001 ...

20. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    thats a darn fine P you got! I have no experience w/ Warmoth but their stuff is gorgeous and I've never heard a negative review, so I'd say undervalued, but based on my skills I'd pay for Nino (or any pro luthier really..) to assemble it.

This is off topic a bit but I'm curious, would Warmoth do a fretless GUITAR neck?