Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warrior road trip

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Walbassman, May 28, 2005.

1. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    A friend and I went to Warrior yesterday and I thought you guys/gals might like to see what goes on in Rossville, GA. I have two Warriors that I acquired used and took them with me on the trip. I came to find out that the red one in the pictures is actually the 35th bass made(!!!) and is the only one that was made in red. I spent some time looking around and was given the tour by Scott. Now I know that there are a number of you who have had challenges with these instruments and some of the dealings have been not to your liking but I can tell you from here that I was treated like family. I had a friend with me who had never laid hands on a Warrior and after playing a single cut goldtop Isabella, he was ready to take it home. the only other 'high end' basses that I have owned has been Wal. I have tried many others but they don't feel right in my hands so I have been on a quest. These guys have integrity and heart and it shows as I was watching my red bass being tweaked and cleaned up. I took some pictures of various things and I am posting them for your enjoyment. I plan to get a couple more of these basses and am pondering currently how that will take shape. For those of you with bad gallery experiences, I would question the gallery before I would go back to Warrior. Also, for those of you who read the story on Harmony Central about the person who received a bass that was not what he ordered, the poster did not give the rest of the story. The person did not tell you in the post that JD gave him two options on the bass, the first of which being that he would make the poster another bass. The second option was to keep the one that he had and get it at a discounted price. The poster opted to keep the one that was discounted. (Don't get any ideas any of you:rolleyes: )...

Overall, I was treated better than family and I will be looking to increase my Warrior pile as I prepared for international tours this summer.

Attached Files:

2. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Warrior

Attached Files:

3. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    more

Attached Files:

4. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    :bassist:

Attached Files:

5. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Thanks for the shop tour, Walbassman!

I've had my new Isabella fretless 5 for a little over a month now, and I'm extremely happy with it in every way. I posted some photos in the "Isabella Fretless Has Arrived" thread.

Great to hear your positive comments about Warrior!

6. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    You, my friend, got an amazing deal on that red bass. If I am not mistaken, it was on ebay a few weeks ago and went for less than $500....I bid on it and lost...

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I love Warrior basses! Thanks for the tour!

8. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Actually, a friend got it for me...really hooked me up. There is a lot of cool history with that bass. JD explained a bunch to me about it yesterday and it is something to be pondered. The bass comes with Basslines soapbars and it is active but they are active pickups no other preamp. It sounds kinda like a Spector(Kramer era) and has a nine piece neck. they really cared for me on this trip. The bass received an almost complete overhaul as far as frets and setup goes. It plays incredibly. There are not that many of the early ones and I was told that they actually kept one of the bodies for posterity. I have a brochure that I found in my stacks from 97 when the bass was made and it is pretty interesting.

The five that I have is another ebay purchase. A friend got that one for me and I gave him a Rickenbacker for it. It also has some unique qualities and it has NAMM stamped into the back of the headstock, which I was told was only done on a certain number of the basses.

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I use to Endorse Warrior Basses and at one time had an all Red 4 string Warrior Bass(even the Maple fingerboard had a nice clear red finish on it with my sig at the 12th fret position)When I gave the Bass back to JD at Warrior he asked me to sign it with a sharpie.

10. My freind is the warriorss owners son. I've been in that shop many times

11. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    and you don't play one?!?:D

12. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    So who's interested in a Warrior?

13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  14. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I am going to be playing at a church on the weekend of July 9 in Albuquerque, NM. If any of you are interested, I will have my Warrior 5 on hand and will use that for the show...More details if anyne wants to come.

15. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    pix will follow as soon as they are uploaded from the venue in New Mexico!!! The Warrior 5 was the ticket(and the red on was on backup)

16. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    I think I played a Warrior at Guitar Center once. It had a HUGE neck (much fatter than P-bass, Music Man or even Telecaster bass). Does this sound right? Also do they have active or passive pickups?

17. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Those fingerboards in that pic are absolutely incredible...think how much time it would take to rout out the spaces and then do the inlays...wow. *whistles*

18. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Future, it depends on the bass. Both of mine have different spacings (4&5)..the five strings is very flat and wide. The four string is round like a jazz and probably a 'b'width (on the fender scale) but it is a nine piece neck though!!!

Poet, you should see them in person, those were only some of what was there.

19. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I will probably start trading off my other basses to feed my Warrior needs....

20. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Man. Warrior was the first boutique bass that I was ever introduced to. Needless to say, I still have yet to get one. I emailed them a few months ago with some questions about the buy to build program. I have a feeling I'm not going to be hearing anything from them. When I get the funds though, there will be a fretless Isabella 5 in my hands.