Warwick basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Somebassguy, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Thinking of adding a Warwick to my arsenol. Does anyone know the differences between the Corvette Standard Active and the Rockbass Corvette Special Edition, besides the price. Looks like the only differences is the wood but then again I'm by no means a Warwick expert.

EDIT: One more thing, my main style is the blues, though I play everything from blues to funk and everything in beteween. So i'm also looking at the Standard Passive. Any info on this model much appreciated also :)
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The bridge/saddle is also different. Theres more but i cant remember.
  3. Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Yeah, I was reading most people swap out the bridge on this bass. Not a big deal really, an easy fix.
  4. citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    the corvette standart isn t active.
    If you want to look to a corvette active, you can see for the corvette proline wich is the most violent bass at warwick catalog.You can see for a corvette fna jazzman for versatility (musicman and jazzbass PU are really good!).

thumbs are great basses, but i am a big fan of corvette basses.

the rockbass special serie is a good choice.the best at this price!!!
  5. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    The Corvette Standard is available with either passsive or active electronics.
  6. Hmm....I would say buy a Mayones or a Fame they have MEC pu's and Bubinga-bodies instead of the cheaper Alder used in the Rockbasses.......
  7. Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Passive goes for abour 900 plus change, Active runs at about 1100 plus change. I'm only looking at that rockbass cause I don't have the time to fully polish that damn bass (standard) every week :D

Anyways I have to decide today whether I get a Warwick or another Schecter, so the more info I get on the Warwick the better :)
  8. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    C'mon, now. Polishing the bass is a labor of love. I looked forward to those times with my old Corvette ;) :).
  9. You dont have to polish them that offen.
    They just say that so you'd buy their wax.
  10. citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    active corvette standart are only available in USA, not in europe.

Oct 28, 2003
    Get yourself a Corvette, i have an FNA JazzMan, boy is thing versatile, you will not go wrong with this one if you are looking for versatility!
  12. i got a Corvette stnd passive for 700 thats with shipping off of ebay. it has a weng neck and the brass nut. ill probly never sell this thing and only thing ill ever change is he pickups/ and i mite make it v/v/t insteed of v/b/t i hate blend knobs.

u dont have to wax the bass every week. i knwo people who dont wax the at all.

wat happens if u dont wax them do they just get dirty.
  13. Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Can you give me a brief rundown on the passive citizen? Factory setup, pickup noise, Is it versatile in blues as well as rock/funk etc? Does it have that famous Warwick growl or is that edge taken away with passive pickups?
  14. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    I have a passive Standard Corvette and a Rockbass. The difference in pickups does make a big difference, as you would expect. The passive has much less versatility in sound, although plugging it sometimes into an EQed amp or an Eqed box opens it right up. Yes, it growls, and the wood makes it extremely heavy. It is, however, beautifully crafted, a solid instrument.
    The Rockbass is much lighter (made of alder) and, even though it is made in China, it is made to Warwick's specs and is really quite impressive. It is a good all-around bass, since you can get a variety of sounds out of it, and you could play it for hours with no fatique.
  15. the rock basses are made useing the same cnc programs warwick uses, the reason there cheape is labor and the woods. i belive i read that off warwick's website
  16. citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    In europe , warwick basses have MEC pic ups, with are only passive on corvette standart.
    I was told that american importator put bassline PU on, with an active electronic.

On a corvette proline, you can switch the preamp in a passive way.
    (if you speak french, send me an email, it could be easier to explain me).
  17. I have owned many Warwicks, but the first one was a passive Corvette Standard with v/b/t controls. I liked it, but did not have the time/discipline to practice unlined fretless for a minimum of an hour a day & thus got rid of it. I later had a Standard that someone had put EMG's in. Gorgeous! Killer tone palette...but now I have the Corvette FNA Jazzman Ltd. 2002...(pardon me while I change boxers here). I have also had a Streamer Standard, a RockBass forerunner with an ovangkol/wenge neck and the RockBass bridge, singlep/up. The story is legendary how I put a 2-band stacked knob EMG active circuit in it and sold the bass for $200 more than I paid for it...after 2 years of use! I wish that I could find another of these MIG beauties, but they are not made anymore, now that RockBases are on the scene.

The only difference between the RockBass Corvette versions is the flame maple top or lack thereof. The Standard doesn't have it; the Deluxe has it in a sunburst; the SE has it in a gold color. All have the same 2-band EQ circuit.
  18. Burgie

Jul 15, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Hey there, WATCHTHECHORD and plankspanker13....

Tell me what you think of your Corvette FNA Jazzman! Sounds like a nice mix between a Warwick and a Musicman, to my ears at least. There's one at GC, and I go and lovingly visit the thing like a dad with weekend custody of his kid! It's all I can do till I auction off a kidney to afford the thing. Curiously, how much do you think I could try to get them down to on price? The tag is like $1549 or something, and the guy did his little figuring on the computer and said he could come down to about $1440, I think w/ case. Another salesman told me they don't deal TOO much on Warwicks, because they are pretty stiff on their prices, but he IS a salesman after all....

Open to all wisdom and insight as always! Thanks!
  19. rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    give these guys a call, www.wmcworld.com. When I was shopping for a Thumb about a year ago they gave me the best price, $300 less than GC.
  20. I've compared real Warwicks and Rockbasses side by side, and while the Rockbass corvete seemed pretty good for the money, there was a huge difference in quality and in wound. It's not just the hardware, the wood, and the pickups. It's the construction. Just pick up a regular Corvete, and then pickup a Rockbass corvete. You don't even have to play them to tell that one of them is cheaper than the other for a reason.

I'd also like to say that while the Corvete Rockbass, seems like a nice bass for the money, the Streamer Rockbass that I tried was just awful, (IMO). The body isn't even contoured like a real Streamer. I couldn't believe that the same name was on both instruments.