Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick comparo, 4 or 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rumzini, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Was thinking of making the jump from 4 to 5 string. I would like a Warwick Thumb. Found a used neck thru 4 for $1100...or get the new bolt on wide neck 5 for $1500? We currently have 2 original metal songs that I could use the B string on. Of course if I get a 5 I would write accordingly. Just not sure...is there anyone that was in my place? Is it basically sink or swim? How long did it take you to ghet accustomed to a 5? It seems when Iplay a five in hthe shops I always hit the B string on accident...not good.

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Depends on your playing level and how often you practice. I've been playing bass for about ten years, and when I got the 5, I practiced about 4 hours a day. By the third day, no problems.

3. slicecom

slicecom

Oct 19, 2004
    Toronto
    Personally i wouldnt get either. I would hold out for a 5 string neck thru thumb. I went 5 string after my first bass and after a day or so with my 5 string i could never go back to 4. Same with neck thru. I love all that sustain (of course this is more or less significant depending on the type of music you play). So now that you know what I would do, out of your 2 choices, i would reccomend the 5 string.

4. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    The bolt-on 5 wide neck is very thick in the neck compared to most basses of that nature. Make sure you play it before you buy it. Warwicks are always a hit or miss. I'd go with the neckthrough if there was any doubt.

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Thnx everyone so far....I had a thought that if I go with the 4 string neck thru...at least it seems like it would hold its value a bit better. Then in a year or so when I may be a bit more ready for a 5, and want to sell the 4 I wouldn't be in bad shape. I've played the wide neck for just a minute at the shop...it's been the most comfortable 5'er thus far. I really like the spacing for my right hand...I'm a bigger dude.

6. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    It's times like these that I miss my 5 string vette :(. I need to get enough money to get a 5 Neck/thru or 5 FNA Jazzman. If I were you I'd hold until I found a 5 N/T.

7. warwicks are a GREAT investment, you can get about any sound out of them. when i went from 4 to 5 it took only a few days to get used to it, before you know it it will feel dinky and small, lol. and like you i have bigger hands, now i play a 'wick 6 and i feel right at home after adjusting.
    good luck!

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thumb 5's have the reputation for being markedly headstock heavy (can you say "neck-dive"?). If that's not a problem, go for it! In terms of comfort, I prefer the more traditional styles like the Streamer, Corvette, Jazzman, etc. Enjoy!

Riis