Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Dolphin Pro 1 opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sshorepunk, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Anyone out there playing one of these, I've played the set neck version and it was one of the "punchiest" basses I've played, especially for "finger funk" sort of stuff, but what about the Pro 1

Tony

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I've heard and seen (and felt :D ) some played and they are very punchy as well. And have good growl, too :hyper:

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I hate warwick for making this: you go to their site and see the dolphin pro 1 and you say WOW IM IN LOVE but then you see some DP1 and you realize that the only one with highly figures ovangkol is the one in the picture, I also hate the picture of the thumb bolt-on for the same reason and the angle it was took, you cant see the horrible cutaways!!

4. I've got a '90 Dolphin Pro 1 with factory Barties in it, and it can be (if desired) one of the more agressive basses I've heard. It's more comfortable and better-balanced than the Thumb, and actually quite versatile. I've never played the set-neck version so unfortunately can't offer a comparison.

5. Konquest

Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I bought my used DP1 (1999 model) in good condition with the bridge saddle-piezo option. Blending the piezo sound with the other pickups really takes the edge off when playing material that doesn't call for that "growly" sound. You would never guess it was a Warwick from listening to it in a live mix. Mine is the only one I've ever seen with this option. Is there anyone else out there who has owned or played one?

6. ignisfatuuz

ignisfatuuz

Dec 3, 2008
    Hello, new to the forum and my first post.:bassist:

I have played the thumb bass, and some american fenders, and
    others and found a great deal I think some years back.

I found a Dolphin Pro 1 used at guitar center. My buddie had a newer
    one with the newer ovankal wood body which I thought played well.

The bass was made in 98 and has a BOIRE wood body I think!:hyper:

I found a great playing sounding bass for my style, plus with the
    older woods warwick used for the bodys, I think it is boire wood.

Is there a way I can find out for sure about the rare ness
    and or value? I wouldn't give this bass up for the world!

The body is a lighter color than my buddies newer Dolphin Pro 1.

Thanks for any feedback!

7. Kindred_

Kindred_

Apr 18, 2013
    Best bass i have played and owned ever.

Infinite sustain, bestial growl, brightest clarity - Its all about Dolphin's Pro I tone!

8. Daedraziel

Daedraziel

Aug 19, 2013
    Toms River NJ
    I too can vouch for the sound and playability of the Dolphin Pro 1, the growl and balance is impressive...but that body makes me nauseous. It's like a melted wax sculpture.

9. Kindred_

Kindred_

Apr 18, 2013
    Maybe...but only at the first time you are look at it =) Some time after holding it in hands that bass sticks to you body perfectly and shape looks cool too.Just need to get used to it.

IMHO Probably the best Warwick shape ever.Better than the thumb for sure)

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  10. Kindred_

Kindred_

Apr 18, 2013
    Also my samples might suits this thread well, i guess.Check out them if you're intrested -

11. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    I've got a '92 4-Banger, and a '99 5-String Dolphin Pro I. The 4 is Boire, and the 5 is Birds Eye Maple. I LOVE the Broad Neck spacing of the 4, and the tone is Wicked Awesome! Light weight, and perfect Balance. If you can find one with Wenge Neck, and afford it, Get it! If you can find a 5er with Barts, pass on it and Let me Know!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  12. Lesfunk

Lesfunk

Apr 5, 2007
    S.E. Connecticut, USA
    Endorsing artist-Reverend Guitars
    I had one. It was awesome. At the time it was my dream bass. For better or for worse I sold it.
    l-8.jpg

13. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I had a Dolphin Pro 5 string a long time ago. It had a Boire wood body. The shape and balance was great when standing but sitting…

The B string was the best I had heard at the time. That was back when I was buying/flipping basses like crazy. I moved on to something else, but that was a fantastic bass. Stefan Lessard used one so I tried one. :rolleyes:

My current favorite B string is on a Roscoe.

14. Kindred_

Kindred_

Apr 18, 2013
    Yeah i also have admitted some neck dive sitting then bass lays on one knee.If your elbow is not resting on the back of the deck it will dive but i like to playing it like andy irvine in his reviews.It can be not comfortable for some players but anyway...

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  15. Kindred_

Kindred_

Apr 18, 2013
    My 5er actually 2011 CO model with bartolini set of pups.

Also Thinking about buying new one with wenge neck but it would be the craziest buy i ever made)