Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Fortress

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MonkForHire, Oct 8, 2003.

1. MonkForHire

MonkForHire

Oct 5, 2003
    Hey all, I'm pretty new to the site, and i've notice that not many people use fortress basses, let alone fortress mastermans! I just recently purchased a used one and i love it to pieces. Am i being blind or is there some hidden knowledge that i'm just not privy to? Any comments would great!

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I really like the flash back, people must love them because i never see them up for sale.

3. MAJOR METAL

I do have a Warwick here is mine

4. Zharlon

Zharlon From Ice Station Zebra....to Deep Charch 9

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    I also have a W. Fortress, a 5 string fretless and I am very pleased with it, very fast comfortable neck and nice tonal variations are possible...perhaps you don't see alot of them around because warwick hasn't been building them anymore, and if people that own em feel the same way as I, they are holding on to em.....least thats what I choose to think

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I own a Warwick Pro M, which has the Streamer Body
    and the MasterMan Pick-up/Dual preamp.

Huge Tonal Versitility.
    My all time favorite.

It's better that only a few are wise to Warwick MasterMan Basses.
    Gives us the advantage.
    Also up's the future collectability.

You have chosen wisely.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. I've been using a Fortress One 4 string for almost five years. when I was looking at basses, I tried several different Warwicks including a Corvette Standard, a Corvette FNA, a Streamer Pro M, and a used Thumb bass, (the only thru neck of the bunch). The Fortress was my favorite. I'm glad I bought it then. Warwicks just aren't what they used to be. Gone are the days of wenge necks, (which in my opnion was the best thing about Warwicks.

How do you guys set the tone on you bass? I almost always have the pickup pan set in the middle, and the bass and treble cut all the way off. (Sometimes I won't cut the bass, or I'll only cut it slightly, if I'm playing through a bad amp).

It's good to see another Fortress player out there. So, who else plays flatwounds on there Warwick? :D

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I own a 1997 Fortress Flashback 5 that is sitting in its case at my parents house. I never play it because the spacing on the neck is too tight, and i no longer enjoy the baseball bat necks that Warwicks have.

Does anyone know what one of these things is worth in US dollars?

I can only guess about Aus dollars, however I would prefer to trade it with someone in the US for a bass we can't easily get here.

8. I have an active warwick fortress one in natural maple matte finish that I would sell. Its very woody sounding, but needs a new volume pot. Its a 93 with the brass nut.

Mike

9. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    TI Jazz Flats exclusively.

Warwick & TI's speak the same language ;)
    @$800.

10. I used a '94 Fortress One 5 as my main bass for about 5 years...till I got hip to the high-end bolt-on Streamers.

11. MAJOR METAL

Can someone post a pic of the fortress flashback

12. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
  13. Finger Blister,

Those are the same strings I'm using.

14. MAJOR METAL

Thanks finger blister, how long were the flash backs made.

15. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    [​IMG]

As close as I can tell from my Warwick Cataloge Archive, from Mid 1996 to late 1999.

At first the 2 TEK Bridge was standard on the Flashback, later the 2 TEK bridge was replaced by a chrome Warwick bridge with the 2 TEK available as a custom option. (2TEK went out of business at this time).

In 1996 Warwick updated their line--
    with new bolt-on models (Thumb)(Pro M) (Flashback)
    and 'upgrades' for old models (Corvette Proline).

Major changes again in 1998 with teflon nut, elimination of stock Recessed Dunlop Strap Locks, and the introduction of Ovangkol for Necks.

Recommendation:
    1997 Flashback when 2 TEK Bridge, Recessed Dunlop Strap Locks, and Wenge Neck were standard.

16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Fortresses were cool. I just dont know why they discontinued it :confused:

17. MonkForHire

MonkForHire

Oct 5, 2003
    Thanks guys, i guess it's true that they are hard to come by, i mean, the only reason i got mine was because the original owner died and the husband needed to pay off some bills *bows head in silence, not for the bills*

18. bassarch

bassarch

Jul 24, 2001
    Istanbul
    I guess the reason why the fortress are hard to find (_besides the fact they are discontinued of course_)they really have a very very distinctive sound ,very unique and much more characteristic than the other 'wicks retaining the unick warwick growl..They can be agressive as hell and smooth as butter if you know how to touch it.There was a bass player in the bar I used to play with a corvette and my guitarist fellow used to keep asking me being both of them warwicks how our basses could be sounding so very different.
    I see the other warwicks to be more easygoing more mainstream than the fortress so to say.

19. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I would love to own a Fortress, but:
    - they are discontinued
    - I couldnt find a used one here, especially not lefty
    - not available in 6...

so I went Corvette... BTW that is the other Warwick shape that I love. These two are nice and classy, but the others i dont like... must be soome symmetrics- and upper horn-thing

20. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hey guys! Look what i just saw: Fortress is making a comeback! but only in rockbass form... anyway, this pic on the site looks good!

Rockbass Fortress