1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick LWA 1000

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by sidonbass, Apr 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sidonbass

sidonbass

May 27, 2006
    Asheville NC
    The Warwick LWA 1000 is a 2 channel 1000 watt amp.
    Has anyone tried running their Upright through this?
    I love the power and with 2 channels it could be a good DOUBLER.
    ???

2. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have a friend who owned one of those for doubling. He now has an Acoustic Image head. One thing that bugged us both about the LWA 1000 was the somewhat unconventional eq points. Not really right for upright as I remember.

Mike Law and sidonbass like this.
  3. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    @B String how did it sound for a standard electric bass?

4. TwentyHz

TwentyHz

Apr 9, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I run an Englehardt EM1 w/ Helicores > Realist copper + K&K Golden Bullet > K&K Trinity Preamp > Warwick LWA 1000 > two Eden 110-8s or a HyDrive 4x10.

I am by no means a connoisseur or expert, but...

I have dialed it in and informally A/B tested it by ear to learn how to get it as seemingly-transparent-to-me as possible, and I have been very satisfied. Sound guys have liked the DI, and more-knowledgeable-than-me audience members have been enthusiastic about FOH results.

I've been using it less as a two instruments doubler (though I may start to do so in another band) than as a foot-switchable option to fit the mix. (The footswitch uses a stereo cable: when I plug it into CH 1, it switches between Ch 1 and CH 2.)

I usually run CH 1 EQ'd pretty darn near 12:00 w/o compressor, and then set up CH 2 with some version of a little mid or mid-high boost (depending on the room) and with a smidge of compression. Then, I use CH 2 for just a slight change of tone to fit the mix. Additionally, with a quick flip of CH 2's mute switch, I can also use it as handy footswitchable mute between songs, to tune, etc.

I also loOove the aesthetics (very '70s home hi-fi looking; the feel of the knobs and toggles), and the Warwick case. I know that stuff is not supposed to be important, but who knows how much it impacts my poor ol' subconscious as I perceive tone, feel confident, etc?

I've also gigged it with electric basses (an ESP LTD B5E and a Squier Jag fiver.) Love, love, love.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  5. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thank you @TwentyHz . How coincidental that I own two Eden EX110 8's. They are phenomenal cabinets for the size/cost/weight! Currently I have a GK MB500 and MB200 amps for the cabs. It's pretty incredible how two cabs so small can create such a full bottom end. Eden's best kept secret!

I'm thinking about trying out a LWA100- because I too love the look of the black amp. Thanks for your review! :thumbsup:

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    My friend was using it for both instruments. He ended up using a lot of eq to make the amp work for him with his Mike Lull bass. The Acoustic Image (for him) sounded better flat than the Warwick using a lot of eq. He was using a Bergantino ae210, an old SWR 210, or a (?) 1x12 box. It didn't seem to work well with his upright either.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  7. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    @B-string how's it going? You're fairly incognito nowadays. Thanks for the reply. I'm going to cross the Warwick off my list for now. I just bought a new Eden Terra Nova head and will be trying that out tomorrow night.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

8. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    My LWA 1000 cranks. Ease of power and astounding volume. It's king in this area.

Reliability is questionable: I'm on my third one.

I have to use external Radial Bassbone and Sansamp Para Driver for external EQ. The LWA voicing and EQ don't cut it by themselves.