Warwick: Nut problems?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 7, 2008.

1. The_Orlonater

The_Orlonater

Jun 6, 2007
    I broke the tab to the left on my JAN II. They're cheap, and they suck. JAN 1's and JAN 3's ftw! I'm going to replace it later.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Off topic, I don't know if I will be keeping this one or not. It sounds good, but compared to my 55-02, it is not a very comfortable bass. The body is small and the neck and string spacing just seem off to me. It is so funny how a bass can feel good in a store only to have glaring shortcomings when played at home or on a gig.:eyebrow:

I may give it another day or two and see if I grow into it.:cool:

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Thats what happened to me with my thumb. Great playing sit down bass, not so great strapped up. Never got used to it. It too had the problem with the JAN II which was replaced by warwick with a JAN III.

Good luck with your Vette

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It even takes some getting used to sitting down, IMO. That said, it sounds great, and the build quality is there. Although the Corvette is a less expensive Warwick, it feels just as solid as any Streamer or Thumb I have ever played.

I also admit that I admire Warwick because they really do have a unique philosophy in an industry where so many firms copy a few proven designs. That said, I have an MTD Kingston coming, and I think that a full sized body and 19mm spacing is the ideal fit for me.:meh:

5. You THINK? You KNOW 19mm is the only way for you Cheese....you didn't start that club for no reason :)

Jamie

6. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I replaced my snapped JAN II with the old brass one. Can't say it sounds much different but it looks fantastic & is easy to get a perfect height for each string.

c-

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    True.:)

8. motleystew

motleystew

Apr 29, 2006
    Lewisville, TX
    I emailed a rep from Dana B. Goods about 3 months ago and they shipped me free JAN III within a few days..

9. i broke my janII nut so i had a bone nut made for it...waaaayyyy better

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Another off topic update: I am digging the tone of this bass. Believe it or not, it is cool for doing acoustic style lines. I've been working on some of those basslines on Esperanza Spalding's major label debut, and Warwick sounds really good catching that vibe. The bass is not super comfortable, but it just might be worth getting used to playing.

11. They do take awhile to get along with, but I've always found it worth it. Still can't say I like playing standing with my Warwick though!

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm glad I didn't return this bass. It gets some great tones. Although it is J/J, it really doesn't get a jazz slap tone, but it definitely gets a nice Jaco tone. The slap tone is brighter and kind of "active sounding" compared to a jazz although both basses are passive. The big surprise is how old school it can sound finger style. I had a blast playing Beck's "Sexx Laws" with my Corvette, and I bet it would kill on something like 'Memphis Soul Stew" also. It is my only narrow spaced five, and although I notice the difference, it doesn't slow down my playing at all.:bassist:

13. guillermohands

guillermohands

Aug 22, 2011
    Venezuela
    lol hahaha the sharp edges i hate them hahahahahaha :D

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021