Warwick: Nut problems?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just picked up a Warwick Corvette Five at a great price at GC. It is very light for a Warwick, 9 lbs. 2 oz., and it sounds great. What concerns me is that I have heard stories of the plastic nut on this model busting with only moderate use. Has anyone out there had this problem with their Corvette.

2. Not me. I've owned a Corvette 5, 6 & Thumb BO- 4; all had the plastic nut, never had a problem.

3. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I actually replied on the GC deal thread, but it's more on topic here...

If it's the newer JAN III then it's probably going to be fine for you. The older JAN II, which has these "ears" or clips on the side are problematic. The clips would snap off. Warwick had so much trouble with them that they have/had a replacement program where they would send you a free JAN III replacement for a broken JAN II. I got mine through Dana B Goods.

I'm not sure it's plastic BTW, it may be graphite.

4. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    Its supposedly called "Wilferite" After the owner. Hans Peter Wilfer

5. I've owned several Warwicks with the JAN II. Never had a problem.

6. The only problem I've had with the JANII is the sharp edges it has. Never had another problem.

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Mine was made April 21, 2008, so I am guessing it has the newer style nut.:hyper: I can't believe I got such a new bass for such a low price! I guess I finally nabbed one of those great GC deals that I have always heard about.:cool:

8. Ya the "just a nut II" I believe was problematic for some people, but the newer models that have the III are good apparently.

9. Here's my Corvette Standard I got from GC a few years ago and here's a pic of the problem you're referring to. Notice the clip missing on he side there. It broke while I was taking the G string off to replace it. Nothing really made it break. It was just cheap.

warwickcorvette010.jpg

BTW, anyone know if that Warwick program is still in effect? I'd like to get this fixed.

10. ModuMan

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19

If you don't get an answer before I get home from work tonight I'll see if the link I saved is still active. If you you check the Warwick site it might be in there... somewhere.

11. I looked but didn't see anything. I did email a Warwick rep so I'm hoping they get back with me.

12. OneToBeOne

OneToBeOne

Feb 25, 2008
    The only time I saw that was on a Warwick Rockbass Corvette. My friend asked me to fix up the neck and change the strings and as soon as I took off the strings, the nut just fell to the floor. It was made out of plastic.

13. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    This happened the very first night I brought home my Warwick Corvette Standard Fretless. :bassist: I was changing the strings (because they sell them in-store with roundwounds, the morons, they chew up the neck!) and I noticed the tab on the floor later. So we looked on the internet, and found out about the program where they offered the replacement Just-A-Nut III for the Just-A-Nut II. Before I had time for a brief celebration, I read that the program ended in August of 2007. I don't recall the link, but you can probably find it on the Warwick website. My nut is still on the bass, even with the tab off, but I'd like to replace it when I get a chance.

14. The nut on my bass stays intact as long as I change 1 string at a time. Ican't take them all off at once or it falls right off the neck.

15. Mine came with half broken tabs when I got it off of here. :meh:

Not a very smart system.

16. bottomzone

bottomzone Gold Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2005
    I never had a problem with the 2000 Thumb 5 BO that I sold last month, after owning it for about 3 years.

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

17. playhard

playhard

Jul 7, 2008
    I realize there is greater string tension on a 5 then a 4, but my Corvette 4 fretted has been great after 10 years, no issues, I've changed strings one at a time and all at once. I would'nt worry...take care of it and it will serve you well.

18. ModuMan

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I got my Warwick SSI 5'er here and was pretty surprised when I changed strings and the nut fell off! Pretty sure that wasn't supposed to happen... when I looked closely I could see where the tabs had snapped off.

I believe I got my replacement before August of last year but I'll see what I can find, if anything.

I had initially contacted Warwick directly and got a pretty fast response so they should be able to help you out. Don't bother asking about the old brass nuts though, they don't have any more. :(

In the process of getting a replacement, I initially received another JAN II to get me up and running while waiting on the JAN III. Since I had other basses I wasn't worried about it so if anyone REALLY wants an unused JAN II I'll be happy to pass it along, just PM me.

19. Just got an email back from the Warwick Rep and he's sending me one free of charge. Not too bad. I'm impressed.

20. ModuMan

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I couldn't find any info on the replacement program, so that may be over. Cool that they will send you a new JAN III!

Of interest, here is a page on their site about the JAN III

http://www.warwick.de/modules/infos/info.php?katID=14547&cl=EN

There is also a link to their shop... apparently you *can* still get brass nuts. Heh, brass nuts.:rolleyes:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021