Warwick Quadruplet problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ogar, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Hi there.
    For almost two years I was happy owner of Quadruplet preamp, going right to the PA, everyone liked the sound. Now I've bought me a present, 1200W mosfet poweramp, plugged it in and... volume was lower than with our 200W Laney powermix, OMG! I measured output voltage from Quadruplet, full gain and it was only 0.2V. My new poweramp input sensitivity is 1.5V. Jeez.
    My questions:
    1. Is there anyone using Quadruplet-poweramp-cabs setup? What are your experiences?
    2. Is there any possibility of increasing output voltage of Quadruplet and/or increase input sensitivity of poweramp (except sending them to the manufacturer)?
    3. I really do not want to mess the sound, but is there any "audiophile" device to put between preamp and poweramp to enhance the signal?
    Thanks alot!
  2. Pickup I am using on my fretless is Kent Armstrong MM humbucker and it is one of the loudest passive pickups I have seen/heard, it is as loud as my former Warwick Thumb BO V with upgraded 18V electronic. There should not be the problem. Also, sound engineers always complain, that the DI signal is for the mix input too strong. I always have to low down the output to the minimum... But that is for the mix, mix further boosts the signal...
    We measured output voltage on our drummers voltmeter, he works in telecomunication company, so he should be skilled how to do that.
    EMG adjustable booster is kind of signal enhancer? I love the sound of my preamp so I would like something with flat response. Do you recommend it?
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I owned a quadruplet, and used it quite happily with a poweramp. I don't own it anymore, but I know enough to chime in.

Quick question: is the line level switch on the back in or out?

With the switch in, output is 0db (line level). With it out it's instrument level (+6db)
  4. Yeah, thanks for your replies! I tried both positions and signal was the same (very weak) in both cases. Maybe the switch does not work properly? Do you know the input sensitivity of the poweramp you used?
    I think, that there might be something wrong with my particular preamp (sigh), 'cause 0.2V output is very low.
    Anyway, David, may I ask you about the reason you get rid of Quadruplet?
    Thanks again!
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ogar, I don't know the input sensitivity offhand but I used it with a QSC PLX 2402.

Specs for that are at http://www.qscaudio.com

Were you using the DI out, or unbalanced 1/4" out? The line level switch works with the 1/4" outs only.

Beyond that, I can't help too much. If it helps you, the warwick amps manual can be found at:

As to why I sold the Quadruplet, I loved it but I ended up with an Aguilar DB680 as my primary preamp which is great. I also have an Alembic F-1X, which I use a lot for recording as it has such a great default sound.
  6. Hmmm, I tried all possible combinations of outputs. There must be defect something in preamps' output section. Do you guys think, that it could be caused by wrong tubes? I don't think so, but one never know.
    Warwick manual doesn't say anything about output voltage... neither do Warwick technicians. Och aye, do you also have so bad experience with Warwick customer service? I live cca 400 km from their factory in Germany and for allstock Thumb BO V, I've waited almost half year and for Quadruplet more than 3 months. I know, we are very small market, but...
    What about west coast, any suggestions, experiences from using Quadruplet with poweramp?
    Thanks alot!
  7. LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    I owned a Quadruplet for a short while. Even with the volume control maxxed, I could never get close to clipping my QSC PLX3002. I really liked the sound so I corresponded with Warwick about ways to boost the output, but they told me there were no tube-swaps or other tricks they could do. I sold the Quadruplet.

Never had any problems driving the PLX3002 with Ampeg, Ashdown, Demeter, or Yamaha preamps, so I'm left to believe that the Quadruplet just can't put out enough juice to drive the PLX.

You might try running the Quadruplet output into a compressor or other effect capable of increasing the gain to the amplifier. I used a little DBX compressor with good success, and I recall others doing something along these lines.

Good luck!
  8. LowRanger, I am afraid, things you wrote, are truth. Maybe is preamp meant for recording only, not for gigging? There are few thing about Warwick, I do not undrestand. I really love the sound of Quadruplet, but...
    Do you think, that the low output is on purpose of better/cleaner sound? Anyway, do you know any device, that can boost my signal without messing up sound? Meekster suggested EMG PA2 booster, it seems to me that it might do the trick. Does anyone have experiences with it?
    Thanks for your inputs!
  9. LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    Ogar, I'm really not sure that Warwick is to blame. I think it's more that there are no industry-wide standards for preamp output and power amp input. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall reading in another thread that the SWR IOD preamp also doesn't work well with some amps in the QSC PLX line due to such a mismatch. If your amp is a QSC PLX, you can get a couple resistors changed to alter the input sensitivity of the power amp. Warwick told me that their preamp wasn't designed for high output, and not to bother trying different tubes, etc.

I used a DBX 1/2-rack compressor to increase the gain from the Quadruplet to the PLX, and it worked well.

As much as I liked the Quadruplet, I was unable to find a solution that was 100% effective and transparent, so I sold it. Too bad, it's really a nice preamp!
  10. Well, I would still blame the Warwick a bit, but no use in bashing them on this forum, makes me no relieve (anyway, I don't feel hurted, just surprised). I may try compresor, now I remember, I should have owned one. OK, we'll see.
    Conclusion: People, when you are completing preamp-poweramp-cabs rig, beware of possible unexpected problems for example with output voltage - input sensitivity.
    Good luck in your searching!
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If you have some free space in your rack, you could try running the Quadruplet into another device (compressor, equalizer, preamp) which could be used to further boost the signal.