Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Question?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Nov 11, 2005.

1. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I was going to buy a Corvette 4 string active, and I went to their web site. Did you know you could upgrade from a 34 scale to a 35 scale neck. I was thinking does it matter if its a 34 or 35 for a 4 string? :)

2. Fathand

Fathand

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    Depends if you're going to detune a lot. 35" helps with the string tension.

Personally, I could use a 35" neck because I play in D a lot but then again, I feel more comfortable playing with a 34" neck. :ninja:

3. You can go to a 35" on all their bolt on basses except wide necks.
    Just remember, there will be a 4-6 month wait if you go this way. :)

4. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Hello,

I won't recommand a 35" neck on Warwicks just for comfort reason.
    It is quite strange to explain but I alredy have the impression, probably due to construction, small body..., that wick necks feels longer than other brand, I feel more tension in my left wrist than with other bass.
    So I guess it would be even worse with a 35" scale.
    But this is just my feeling and opinion.

Shiveringbass

5. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I am going to stick with the 34 because it feels just right to me plus I have the 55-01 already. I was going to buy it on monday as a early Birthday present to myself. I love the tone and all around feeling I get with the Warwick. Cant wait :bassist:

6. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Does anybody else like the corvette? What do you like most about them? :)

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    :eyebrow:

8. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Like most have said, if you plan on detuning it a lot than go for it. Mine all handle detuning very well, even with the standard scale lengths...

9. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana

Hey man, I've got a Corvette F.N.A. Jazzman and love the thing. I have the strap pretty high on my bass and it balances real well. Since I have Swamp Ash, its a tad lighter than other Warwicks. I'll probably accumulate a bunch of basses in my career, but I think I'll keep this one for not only sentimental reasons, but for the vast arrange of tones I can pull out of it. Have fun man.

B.C.

10. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Do you think I should get a 4 or 5 string corvette? Can anybody give me some pros and cons? I need some help I am pulling my hair out over this. :eek: :bassist:

11. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Wich line? STD, pro-line, FNA, FNA jazzman, Hot-rod?

12. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I played a Corvette Std. Active 5 through a Hartke 4x10 half stack (I was actually trying the cab, as I'm getting a Corvette in January anyway) and that thing sounded so nice! The cab did a damn good job of handling the low B (Though I wish it could have had a little more meat - but it was only the cheaper series) so for sound, it was the best sounding setup I've ever played through... Harmonics rang out very clear, tapping was so easy, and slaping had a really nice growly zing to it. Playing fingerstyle it had kind of a round tone, almost jazz bass like, but with more attack, and less warmth. And I didn't have a pick with me - But I'm sure it would sound awesome with a pick too.
    The bass wasn't too heavy... It was a green stained one, I think it was probably the ash bodied one. Body felt nice, wasn't as heavy as my 4 string Traben, though I wouldn't call it light. Looked the job.
    However, the problem with it for me was the neck... Now don't judge me by this as I've only played 3 5 strings before... A Vintage MM knockoff (I hated the neck on that), An EBMM Stingray 5 (WHOOOA! I wasn't much for the tone on the bass, but the feel... :bassist: ) and then the Warwick. It wasn't how wide it was or how chunky it was - it was the shape itself... It had kind of rounded edges, but a flat bottom to the neck... Definitely try one before you buy it! If you can live with the neck shape, then I preffered the Warwick 1 million times over the Stingray (which was twice as much)

13. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    And I'll tell you, the difference in neck shape/profile between the current ovangkol necks and the wenge necks of the pre-1998 Warwicks is like night and day. My 1997 Corvette has a wenge necks that is one of the slimmest necks I've ever played. The newer necks are much chunkier. I generally prefer chunkier necks than on my 'Vette, but the newer Warwicks don't have the most comfortable neck shape. It's chunky, yes, but oddly shaped.

And I don't think you need the extra scale inch. When it comes to 34" scale basses, Warwicks tend to have some of the best and most consistent low B's on 34" scale fivers. The gentleman (Joe Nerve) who sold me my Corvette used to string it BEAD and he said it sounded fantastic.

I love my Corvette. It looks fantastic. It sounds fantastic both unplugged or through any amp; it sounds monstrous through my Ashdown combo. I keep the volume knob pulled out to bypass the preamp so I get a woodier tone. It's not light, but I like the heaviness of it because that makes it feel stout; like a quality piece of woodwork and not cheaply light. The weight of my Corvette is comforting. I can wear it high without it feeling odd against my body. The slim body doesn't crush my ribs but rather melds with my torso. The action is low and playing it is a breeze. It responds to every slight nuance I do with my fingers.

Best freakin' bass I ever owned.

14. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    So I will go with the 4 string active corvette std. I think I will be fine with that. I really do not need the B. And if I do then I will switch to my 55-01. I am on my way to buying my very first Warwick, I am very excited. :hyper: :bassist:

15. :)

16. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    The countdown begins in 5hrs I will be a new owner of a :bassist: Warwick!

17. Here's an early "welcome to the club". :D

Let's see some pics when you get it!

18. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    True that man welcome. I'm the proud owner of a 'wick' 'vette 5 string and i love that thing man. I never leave home without it. Lets see pics when you get it though. :)

19. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Thanks guys I know I will love it. :bassist: Soon I will be in the club :hyper:

20. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    "Come to the dark side!"