Warwick + SVT-CL = ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Daywalker, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    Are there any bassists here that own Warwick basses, and play through a CL? I've heard so much talk about all tube being the "end all" of bass amplication, but I'm also starting to notice that a lot of these people play Fenders, Laklands, and Stingrays, usually with picks. Now as you all know, basses with maple fretboards played with a pick are gonna sound totally different than a Wick played with the fingers or slapped. So, if you play a Wick (fingerstyle/slap) through a CL, please tell me what you think of it. Is it true that it's almost impossible to get clean highs and upper mids out of it? THanks...:help:
  2. I play my thumb through a Fender 300 PRO, and I have no problems getting a great finger/slap sound out of it at all!

When I played it through a CL, it had a pretty good tone, but went into overdrive fast, and once that happened, all the tone went out the window. but thats just not my sound, you might find otherwise?
  3. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I'm playing a Warwick Thumb BO 6 string thru an SVT-2 Pro. I have not had any problems getting what I want from the bass, and the aggressive growl of the Ampeg definitely augments that Warwick snarl too. My band plays really loud, so I usually have the 2 Pro in some level of overdrive in every stage it has, but I don't find this takes away any clarity, and in fact it can reshape the sound slightly and *bring out* those upper mids.

You're going to have to try it if possible. Perhaps you could rent one for a day and jam with your band using it.

Fingerstyle with this head is great - it'll be smooth and clean one minute, and if you dig in, it can break up however you'd like. I don't slap much but when I'm playing around I can see that in its clean range (which gets pretty darn loud), it sounds GREAT for slap. Even nearer to breakup, it still sounds deep and has good dynamics. That *thump* you want from your thumb never goes away.

Hopefully this is of some help. I realize it's not for the CL, but this gives you some idea since I believe they share some similarities in the power section.
  4. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    OK, I'll bite.

Tubes are not the "be all, end all of bass amplification". My two primary rigs consists of a Trace Elliot V-Type setup and an SWR 'Stella/Power 750 rig (don't use the overdrive in the 'Stella). For my band, the SWR gets the nod. Solid-state amps, in general, are going to have a much more focused low end, and a more "clinical" sound overall. I decided I really did need that higher damping factor on the bottom.

A tube amp, on the other hand, is going to have a much more "warm and smooth" sound. A good sealed cab tends to help tighten up the low end with a tube amp.

I also play a Fender (100% stock 1992 Jazz Plus V, Fender-Lace Sensor pickups, Kubicki preamp). It doesn't sound anything like a traditional "Jazz Bass" sound, and it doesn't have a maple board--it's pau ferro. My StingRays are all pau ferro boards, as well. My Warwick has an ebony board. Granted all my basses other than my Jazz are fretless, but I would be very unlikely to buy a bass with a maple board.

That said, it's quite possible to have a very clean midrange and top end out of a good tube amp. It's all in the settings you choose. All of my basses sound great through my V-Type, and they *all* have active EQ. My standard EQ setting on my basses is full treble, full bass. On the StingRays, I usually leave the mids flat, but sometimes I cut the mids all the way. EQ on the V-Type is usually set with a slight bass cut, flat mids, slight treble boost, and the Deep switch on, Bright switch off. I never have any problem with the top end sounding good.

Then again, I really want to go back to two 1x15's to help tame all that high end. 10's just seem to let through too much string noise, but with 15's, it filters it just right for my tastes.
  5. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    Thanks for the responses, is there no one else?
  6. Hey, here's a pick of my rig...SVT Classic, Schroeder 4x10 and 2x12 with my Warwick Thumb N/T and and Passive Jazz bass.

The tone of the Warwick through this rig is ridiculous!!! It's so good I don't know where to begin. Just really fat, really punchy and really articulate.
    The following all depends on your EQ settings, however my Chords are clear as a bell, my slapping and poping is punchy and bright (although I suck), my fingerstyle runs and riffs are fat and dark and my pick-played songs are percussive, biting and strong....and that's all due to the Warwick...not the amp or the cabs.
    Because my Fender MIA Jazz, although badass in it's own right, can't hold a candle to the Warwick Thumb.
    My style of play has not changed, my bass changed and man, what a difference!!!
    The Thumb is light years ahead in tone, consturction and playability IMHO. It's a whole different animal. My bandmates loved my tone with my Fender but since I got the Warwick, they are just baffled at my tone. They never new a bass could sound so good. To be honest with you, niether did I.

Dude, have no fear that the SVT is a good choice to pair with your Warwick.
    Just keep in mind though that there are alot of other amps that are far superior to the SVT in terms of construction, technology, blah, blah. I'm always on the hunt for something better but for now, I'm really happy with what I have. No promises on how long it'll last though. Damn GAS.

Attached Files:

djaxup likes this.
  7. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    Hey thanks a lot Chris, your Rig looks mean! So does that Thumb!
  8. Thanks man..seriously though, I really don't think you'd be disappointed with an SVT or any well-built all-tube amp.

Although I sorta ranted on how great the Warwick is (you know..you have some), a great tone factor involved here is indeed the SVT's sonic stamp. Just try one for yourself...they're sold everywhere. Good luck.
  9. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I just got an Ampeg SVT-2 Pro with the intention of using my Fender P bass and not my Warwicks through it... Turns out, my Thumb Bolt On 4 String with a pick is now officially "my" sound...

Leaps and bounds over solid state amps... it made a world of difference. I have my amp baiscally EQed flat, and i get some GREAT TONE out of it... I am still working on the whole overdrive thing and working with those settings... An ampeg SCT-2 pro is basically a Ampeg CL with a little more newer bells and whistles... nothing major but compare the user manuals and you will see
  10. tbass-chicago

Oct 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I play a Warwick Streamer Stage I, but the pickups are EMG (still using the MEC pre-amp). I can't say enough good things about EMG pickups. If you find you're "missing" something, you may want to spend the $150 for the P/J set and <I>have it installed</I>. A good EMG example is Mike Gordon from Phish; I don't have half the gear he has, but that EMG sound still comes through.

Also, I am moving on from my Ampeg partially because of a lack of high and upper mid clarity, but this is from a B2R and not the gear you're talking about, so that may be only an anecdotal comment.