Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Thumb NT 4 On The Bay, "Damaged" Trussrod, Worrying

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aj*, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Warwick-Thumb-neck-throught-NR_W0QQitemZ7344004320QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ok here's the link. I see it and think great, a '97 thumb NT with no reserve. Then I saw this:

Please notice: This bass has a damaged trussrod. The thread is worn out.

Surely on a neck through bass that means the entire bass is effectivley screwed since a trussrod thread failiure on a BO bass usually means a neck replacement. I'm not intersted in buying it but I just wanted to hear from you if that stripped trussrod does really ruin the entire bass.

2. Not sure about the trussrod thing, but the Fortress 1s that guy is selling sure look sweet...

Oh, I know that trying to get hold of a Warwick neck can be bloody difficult though...

3. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Yeah but it's not like a replacement neck for a neck through is even possible :(. I have a feeling that bass is a write off.

4. Not so sure that it would be a write-off. You'd certainly need to do some major work to it though. My friend Gareth builds basses and when the truss-rod in his 7 string fretless gave out he had to take off the fingerboard, sand and plane everything down reinsert a new truss-rod and then put a new fretboard on. His 7 is a neck-through bass... CAUTION: Ugly pictures ahead! Bass players may find the following graphic pictures disturbing...
    http://www.gmcbasses.co.uk/GMCBasses/bass5Diary5.htm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. t'rants

t'rants

Jan 18, 2003
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I believe that Warwick trussrods simply slide out for replacement. At least that's what my tech tells me.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've heard that, too. Maybe a quick email (or even better, a call) to your local Warwick distributor is in order?

7. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Hmm, I'll watch the auction in that case, it's sitting at a pretty nice price currently with two days to go.

Anyway, what's your general impression of that bass, the Barts clearly aren't stock but otherwise it looks pretty solid. What's the preamp and bridge like on the '97. Also, would this be a brass nut on this model?

8. That's true - but take care when replacing them - it's easy to turn them 180º and have them behave opposite to how it says in the instructions. If the trussrod was damaged only recently, the long-term damage to the bass might be limited…

(FWIW)

- Wil

9. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    I'd have another concern: How did the truss rod get damaged in the first place?

It's not like you're awakened at 3AM by a loud KER-WANG! as your perfectly normal bass suddenly strips its truss rod threads, ya know? SOMETHING'S been going on here, whether it was a clueless someone cranking the heck out of the rod, or an attempt to correct some really bad neck problem, or similar.

The possibility of replacing the truss rod aside, I'd be really suspicious of the "why" behind needing to.

'rick

10. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    This bass being an 87 may have the Warwick slide-out truss rod, but I believe Warwicks made after a certain year (I think sometime in the mid 1990s) don't have the removable truss rod.

Was the Warwick removable truss rod introduced in or before 1987?

11. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    It's an interesting bass though but my instincts tell me to stay away, I have to agree that a trussrod doesn't just strip itself and whatever caused it may have created other problems.

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What's the seller's definition of "stripped"? Is the nut rounded off (easy fix), the threads of the nut stripped (easy fix) or the trussrod threads stripped (harder fix)?

All it would take is some numbnut trying to flatten out the neck without detuning - I really wouldn't worry too much if there's no fretboard separation or neck damage. Ask the seller some very specific questions.

13. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    I agree - I would stay away. If it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

I would be interested to hear the story of how things turn out from whoever buys it. :eyebrow:

14. i dont know if you know but in the early days of warwick they used bart's not mec's

15. Maverick Blues

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    To be completely accurate -- and to not put words in someone else's mouth -- I was the one who said "stripped." The seller's phrase is "worn out." :)

Read into that what you will. :smug:

'rick

16. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I'd be more worried as to why there are no strings on that bass. If the truss rod is "worn" and there are no strings that means the neck is having some fun.

17. rick-lionheart

rick-lionheart

Aug 19, 2005
    Hi everyone, I hope I'm not setting myself up as an object of derision but I bought the Warwick on ebay earlier. I realise I'm taking a chance. What I bring to the situation is that I've replaced a truss rod in a Warwick bass on at least one previous occasion. At best, this could be a fairly easy fix since the truss rod should slide out with a new one inserted in it's place. I think the 1987 truss rod is one way and removable. The aluminium truss rod in question has the benefit of being lightweight inside the neck but has the disadvantage of being softer hense the possibility of damaged threads if mis handled. A steel rod would probably be available and they are stronger but would make the bass inclined to dive at the headstock. Here in the UK, the distribution has changed from the old MAD music days (they were superbly helpful and were great about getting out spare parts). The new man Rob Norton is very friendly but the parts arrangements have changed so I've my fingers crossed.

Anyway, I've taken a risk. At worst maybe the fingerboard may have to come off etc but I would be game to have it reassembled as a fretless too. I've never been to this extreme so that would be something new.

I discovered your discussion by accident after I won the auction so it was so I thought you might be interested. All the best, Richard

18. Maverick Blues

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Richard,

Thanks for joining the discussion!

I don't and won't think badly of you. At worst it was worth that much to YOU so it probably is to someone else as well, which means you can likely turn the thing around and "reBay" it for what you paid for it if it just doesn't work out.

Obviously, there were some people interested here on TalkBass, or we wouldn't have this thread. :) I think most of it was just a matter of, "Hmm, what do you suppose IS the story on this bass?" and wondering how much one could safely bid on it.

It would be really great if you'd post again after you've had a chance to look this one over and help satisfy our curiosity about what's up with the truss rod and what appears to have happened. I, for one, would also like to know if you're able to swap it out and bring the bass back into playable condition.

Thanks and congrats,
    'rick

19. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I'm glad someone from TB bought it, keep us up to date with it, £395 is a great price for a nt thumb, if you can fix it up good you've got yourself a steal. Start a thread in Basses and give us the low down on it. It looks nice in the auction pics, I'm intrigued as to how the Bart electronics and old style bridge and nut etc. compare to the newer models.

20. rick-lionheart

rick-lionheart

Aug 19, 2005
    Thanks for the acceptance and encouragement.

I've two hopeful signs though.

I found a perfect one way Warwick fit Aluminium truss rod here at home, and already have a spare Warwick Gig Bag. The truss rod was obviously a huge bonus as I would have thought, if asked, that it might have been a damaged one I'd retained from a past job.

It's still only a possibility though as Truss rods come in different lengths etc.

I've taken a couple of pictures to let you see what one of these truss rods looks like.
    All the best, Richard

Attached Files: