1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Tubepath 10.1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimiwhite, Apr 25, 2010.

1. jimiwhite

jimiwhite

Jul 8, 2003
    I found a Warwick Tubepath 10.1 on ebay last year auctioned off thru a pawn shop. The street price is over 2k and I won the bid for $800. It was noisy and spitting all over. Went and got some new tubes (Sovtek El84 and GT's 12ax7). The amp quieted down but soon went noisy again. I was getting ready to sell it. Then Bass Player did a review on this amp, gave it a glowing review, as they usually do. Their reviews are mostly useless, but its one way we get an idea of whats out there. Being German made and engineered, I knew it had to be a decent to great amp. I found a source for tubes. thetubestore.com and they reviewed a selection of preamp and power tubes. I ordered a set of Tung Sol 12ax7's and a few TAD El84's. Let them burn in for a day and wow. Now I must say, the Warwick is sounding fantastic. I'm beginning to prefer it to my Mesa Mpulse 600.

I'm glad I spent the time and a few $$ to experiment. I would have sold the Tubepath, and never would have experienced the greatness of it.

I thank the tube store for their recommendations.

Jimi

2. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    nice find !
    Warwick claims the EL34 functions as poweramp driving the solid state power section... can it do those driven tube amp at full bore sounds ?

3. funkmaster j

funkmaster j

Jun 4, 2012
    just got my tubepath 10.1. It is amazing but I too notice that the tubes are quiet one day and buzz the next. What made you settle on tung sol.Any other advice you can give me about tubes ?

4. jimiwhite

jimiwhite

Jul 8, 2003
    Funkmaster

Tubes are sometimes sensitive to the environment. Placing a bass head on a bass cabinet will shake the hell out of a tube and its filaments and grids. Visit the "thetubestore.com" and look at their reviews of preamp tubes. This is how I arrived at Tung-Sol. Call them, explain the situation and they will put you on the right Tube Path. I stopped into the Warwick Pro shop in NYC last year and they had a Tubepath 10.1 rig set up. I commented how quiet the unit was and the technician responded, it was even quieter yesterday. Must be the nature of the beast. Sometimes fluorescent lights in a room or a light dimmer will create noise from the amps.
    Warwick has discontinued this piece. I also had the earlier version the QuadFour. Basically the same and it was noisy sometimes. I had it checked out and nothing was found out of spec. Last week a 10.1 sold on eBay for less than $400. I wonder if Warwick pushes the tubes too hard to get that overdriven tube vibe. That might stress the tube and lead to failure or fatigue. Enjoy the amp, play loud and don't give it away.

Jimi

5. funkmaster j

funkmaster j

Jun 4, 2012
    I was the buyer of that 10.1 . $385. sick deal.Today its as quiet as can be ? The tone on this is amazing,and I feel I have found the perfect amp for me. I just like to know what might come my way down the road w/ this beast.For now though my Thumb NT is loving its cousin driving my cabs.