Warwick VS. Musicman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, Aug 6, 2005.

Which do you perfer?

Poll closed Aug 13, 2005.
  1. Ernieball Music Man Standard 3-EQ 4 String Bass

2. Warwick Corvette Standard (Active Pickup)

1. Which one in general is a better bass. For instance, which is more versatile, fatter, and nicer quality. Just trying to see what most people perfer.
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I would definitely rather have a Stingray (and I do) than a Warwick Corvette. I've played a few Corvettes, and apart from being heavy, they seemed nice. My Stingray is relatively light (9lbs. 5 oz., just like it says on the website), and has massive tone. I'm thinking an H/S Sterling (when they're available) would be a good companion to it.
  4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I'm sure Warwicks are nice and equal if not better than MMs in quality and sound.

[fanboy]But I have an MM so I gots to represent![/fanboy] :hyper:
  5. Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    I love Warwicks... A Corvette was the bass that really got me wanting to play more and experiment with bass.
  6. Both good basses. but i'd bet most people prefer the MM.
  7. What the hell? How is there a comparison?
  8. Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Yeah... You are right. A MM was my dream bass until a friend of mine brought in his Corvette Proline (the older model with the wenge neck) to a guitar store with me to try out amps, and I played them side by side... I felt like the Warwick blew it away.

But then again, it is kind of a love it/hate it thing. The basses are two very different instruments. I think I enjoyed the neck of the Warwick more than anything else. (That, and I like the growl you get from them ;) )
  9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Ray all the way...you kidding me???
  10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Not another apples vs oranges thread :rolleyes:

If they were not as prohibitively priced in Europe and if they made 6ers, then maybe I'd like one. But as things are, I still prefer Warwick.
  11. DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Endorsing Artist:
    I like Warwicks because they play differently. It's all personal preference, really
  12. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    I like StingRays because they play differently. It's all personal preference, really ;)
    bass nitro likes this.
  13. I'd have to pick the Ernie Ball. I love Warwick, but not the Corvettes.
  14. that's funny i'm trying to decide between these two as well. I do feel its apple and oranges that why i plan on owning both someday, my only thing is witch one 1st?
  15. DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Endorsing Artist:
    I dunno.. I like both. Warwicks are kind of heavy though... a little too much strain on my shoulder
  16. rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    i've owned both and preferred the feel and neck of the 'vette but the tones of the 'ray were far superior. tone wins over playability every time.
    in fact, a lightweight bass that combined the best of both would be perfect...
    does it exist?
  17. bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    in this poll i chose the sting ray. although i don't play a sting ray, i probably would pick one over a corvet. i DO on the other hand play a thumb bolt-on and i would take that any day over the MM. plus thaere is a good price difference. a standard mm is like $1100-1200 were you can get a new corvet standard for like $800-900. So that extra money could indeed get your a much better bass. over all i like warwick.
  18. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    I own both a Ernie ball musicman and a Warwick, and i'd have to say i prefer the warwick, although its not a corvette it is a thumb, and it may seem heavy to people, but i just love the tone of the thing.

Warwick gets my vote.
  19. Have you considered the Corvette FNA Jazzman (with a musicman style humbucker in the bridge)...

Obviously I am biased towards Warwicks and jazzmans in particular, but they are light compared to corvette standards and the tone is closer to that of a musicman than the standard 'vette.

If you dig that musicman sound though, aint nothing gonna make it like a musicman.