1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Washburn CB 16

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by liltommyg, Sep 21, 2007.

1. I've recently purchased a Factory second CB 16 with a view to doing some modifications - changing to a F#,B,E,A,D,G tuning.
    The bass was made in Indonesia so I was not expecting a lot.
    HOW WRONG I WAS.
    The build is excellent. The neck fits the pocket like a glove with no gaps anywhere.
    The reason it is a second is a small ding the diameter of a pea in the carved spalted maple top
    unnoticed by six friend inspecting the bass.
    The body is mahogany with spalted carved maple top and feels indestrucable.
    Tha controls consist of an active two band eq(treble cut/boost, bass cut/boost) a master volume
    and a pup blend.
    The pups are a jazz ergnater in the neck and soapbar ergnater in bridge - Ergnater are a respectable amp maker and now it seems do damn fine pups. The bass has great variations in sounds to offer from tight puncy , sparkling slap through to earth moving reggae.
    All this for 360 bucks, I am a happy camper and have shelved my plans to dismember this bass.

Bass V likes this.
  2. bassbeats

bassbeats

Mar 16, 2008
    I am thinking of ordering one in for myself. But it will cost me money and im wondering if it is worth it what do you think?

3. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    I too have this bass and everything is great except one thing(at least for me): the edge of the body is waaay to hard an edge. The lower bout is farily wide on the side that is up toward you and the edge is fairly square...so about 5 inches up from the wrist it kind of digs in, especially if slapping or otherwise really getting into it. It bothered me so much I went and got a 3/4" radius router bit and rounded it from about the bottom of the upper "horn" of the body to about 3 inches from the bottom. Then I did the other side to make it symmetrical and carefully masked and painted the routed area black to match the headstock - nobody has figured out it didn't come that way.

Other than that, if you find one that is "B" stock, this is a very hard deal to beat in a 6 string, active pickup bass. I paid $390 with tax and shipping(and a pathetic gig bag.).:bassist:

4. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    What is the string spacing?

5. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007

Two posts up I told how I had rounded the edge where your plucking arm lays on the body. I decided I had already changed it up, so last night put a real nice angle on that edge I complained , stained it black and waxed it. A nice curved black "swoosh" that looks totally "factory". The spacing was something to get used to, but I really think the sound is fantastic. Funny you asked about the spacing, I just ordered a Hipshot "A" bridge today and had to take the measurements. :bassist: The stock bridge is perfectly o.k., I just prefer the thru-body sound, since I am a fairly "slap and hammer" kind of player. I want options!

6. I've got one of these headed my way in a trade. Not really a six string player but If I change the bridge and the nut and remove a tuner I get a nice full spaced 5 string. Think I'm gonna give it a shot. If I don't like it I'll sell it. I'd like to see pics of the reshaped edge!

H

7. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Dude, that would be one mnosterously spaced 6 stringer.

The pictures - I had my daughter "decorate it, since I was switching to the black Hipshot bridge and black Hipshot tuners. I play contemporary Christian , which explains the theme.:D I got the bass for less than $400, so I didn't mind spending a little to get it how I wanted it. The Egnater pups are divine - I also replaced the blend pot for one that was a little smoother.

Attached Files:

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Very nice job edpal. Dunno why Washburn didnt do forarm cut in first place.

9. Like.

10. jplee3

jplee3

Jan 18, 2010
    I have a CB16 I'm not using anymore. Can't play as the neck is too wide and my wrists get strained quickly.

Anybody interested? Send me a PM

11. LilloEsquilo

LilloEsquilo Banned

Nov 8, 2009
    These basses are fantastic. I picked up a CB14, factory second, the 4 string bass, with a cocobolo top for $250, with the gig bag. I wasn't expecting much either, but that bass just flat rocks, the neck is faster than an Ibanez SR, nice and thin, it's built like a tank, and the sound is great as was mentioned.

12. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Every ten years or so, they get it right