1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Water damage: how long to take effect?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by idoru, Apr 7, 2009.

1. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    g'day guys,

I'd had a bit of a flooding issue in the downstairs area of our house since we moved in. Been steadily working on landscaping solutions which have helped a lot, but last week we got hit with two solid days of rain that dumped about 8" of water on us - 1 or 2 of those ended up inside, as the ground was just too saturated for our drainage system to cope (I've since installed a sump pit & pump system at the low point).

Most everything in the music room was off the ground as I'd _just_ tidied the room up. I lost a backup hard drive, my Digitech Control 8 MIDI fc, but I think the worst thing is that my Goliath Junior II would have been sitting in at least an inch of water, based on the floodline on the side.

I gave it 3 days to dry out before plugging an amp into it. It works - no audible signs of damage. Took it as loud as I dare at home, and still nothing untoward that I could detect.

I can only assume that the drivers (replacement Eminence Beta 10Bs) managed to stay out of the water.

So, if the entire bottom panel of the cab was submerged, what can I expect to happen? I imagine some swelling of the wood perhaps, and maybe weakening of the joints.

Since it still works, I'm unsure as to whether I should make a claim on insurance. I'd hate to take it out on a gig and have it shake itself apart!

Any thoughts?

c-

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I doubt there will be structural damage, but there almost certainly will be mold. This is especially true if the cab is covered with carpet, which will stay damp for a long time.

3. If it sounds good, it is good..

A godsend I say.. no worries about banging that one around!

4. Rick Auricchio

Well, some folks are quite allergic to mold, and you'd be kicking out dried mold spores when playing. Just sayin'...

Speaking of mold, your home insurance may handle the flood cleanup to prevent mold in the home.

5. oh, I;m sorry.. I didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing with you.

I would ASSUME the poster would at the very least air the thing out! If the cab doesn't separate over that, that's a tough cab.. :)

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Spray the cab with Lysol and keep a big fan aimed at it to dry it out....hopefully you have done that since you retrieved it from the water. The electronics must be fine or they'd have gone bad when turned on.

If you're not in a humid climate, I wouldn't worry about mold. I don't know how humid it is in your area Down Under....

7. Rick Auricchio

That should work, especially with some sunshine on the cab during drying.

8. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yep, two afternoons of full sun seems to have done the trick. Thank grud it wasn't my old Trace Elliot 1248H - made of gin-u-wine finest AAAAA+ MDF board ;)

Cheers for the replies guys!

c-