Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Watts.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jiro, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    My Bass amp combo is 200Watts if i add an extension cab and it says 300Watts on it would that equal 500Watts?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    No.

it simply puts out an extra 100 watts.

3. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    damn it haha

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    here's the deal. Your bass combo is 200 watts. But at what impedance? 8 ohms or 4 ohms? Maybe It has an 8 ohm internal speaker and the amp protion of the combo puts out 200 watts at 8 ohms. Maybe It's rated for a 4 ohm minimum load and will accept an extension speaker of 8 ohms (this is a good chance if there is a jack that says "extension speaker - 8 ohms minimum". In that case, plugging in an 8 ohm extension speaker would now give the amp portion a 4 ohm load to power. In that case the amp will put out more than the 200 watts it was putting out at 8 ohms. How much more? you'll have to check your manual or ask the company. Will it be louder than just running the combo with the internal speaker? yes. If the extension speaker says 300 watts that means it's rated at 300 watts, which means that speaker can handle up to 300 watts being put into it.

read this post