Wayman Tisdale

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ccyork, Feb 17, 2004.

1. ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    Last night on CMT I saw ex-NBA superstar Wayman Tisdale playing bass on stage with Toby Keith, Willie Nelson, Aerosmith, Sammy Hagar, and some others.

I was pretty suprised..he's not too bad. :eek: He looks HUGE on stage playing that lefty! Also seems to use his thumb quite a bit. What do you think of Wayman?

2. Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Wayman is pretty good. He is obviously a Stanley Clarke fan, cause his playing, tone and songwriting all sound a lot like Stanleys.

I only have one of his CD's " In The Zone", but plan to get more. :hyper:
  3. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Wayman has been playing most of his life. Of course, it kind of took a back seat to playing ball when he was pro, but he always played. Marcus Miller said that he was jealous of Wayman because Wayman could "play either a session or an NBA game" while Marcus could "only play."

I have a few recordings with Wayman and he can certainly lay it down.
    It is amazing how much the bass looks like a little kid's guitar on him.
    Geez is he tall!
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Waymon Tisdale is a decent player. His only fault lies in his ability to improvise on the spot. Most of his licks and solos are pre-conceived and rehearsed. He's aaight. Can't hang with any of the fusion guys. He'd get buried real fast!
  5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I agree with the Stanley Clarke assessment. While he sights Marcus Miller as his mentor, I think his playing is very similar to Stanley Clarke.

However, I do like his playing a lot. :)
  6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    jaco did the same thing and i think he had some success ;)
  7. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    He's good at "lead bass." I've never heard him play actual basslines though.
  8. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have a hip-hop record somewhere with Wayman just laying it down.
    He can groove.
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Nah, I don't think so. Jaco was a universe away in talent than Waymon will ever be. If Waymon Tisdale was not a famous B-Ball player, he would not have gotten any record deal. Don't get me wrong though, His stuff is ultra funky but he's no innovator. Whenever I need a dose of some serious bass playin', His cd is not one I pick to listen to! Just my opinion......... ;)

In addition, I've seen Waymon live and all he did was play a repeating lead line and sing a little. I saw very little bass playing. A keyboardist was layin' it down mostly.
  10. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I got a record deal........and I am not an NBA player and I am certainly not the second coming of Jaco. Getting a deal is not as un-attainable as some people tend to think. Difficult yes, but not un-attainable.

I think wayman is a supportive, solid player.... which is what most of the music he plays, calls for.

His main deal, however, is songwriting. There have been a few notables who have recorded his music. Philip Bailey comes to mind.

As for the live thing, I have yet to see him in the real.
  11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

But I would gather that you are more than a mediocre player which is what I honestly think he is and if he wasn't a 'name' I honestly don't think he would have gotten his deal. Same deal with Bernie Williams. But it's cool, I ain't hatin' although it seems that way. :D
  12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    im not equating their talent or innovation levels at all. but, you say he works out his solos and jaco indeed use to do the same thing. if you listen to any of his live solos from bootlegs he sounds amazingly average compared to a gary willis or patitucci. hell, even marcus has said jaco wasnt a great improviser. :eek:
  13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I hear what you're saying. I'm not a Jaco expert but whether his solos and licks were pre-conceived or not, what he put forth is worlds beyond what Waymon puts forth and this is my point. Jaco, I assume, worked very hard to get to the level he attained. And he deserved to be heard whether solo or in a band context. Can't say I've ever heard a 1/16 note come outa Waymon! :meh: I do have 2 of his cd's so I'll take a listen again just to make sure................ ;)
  14. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    But would you not agree that Jaco and Wayman has different styles ? You didn't here Jaco thump/pluck and Wayman does not play strait 16th notes,however both of them have concept of the groove.
    As far as soloing,to me,Jaco was IMO frustrated sax player playing bass ( almost like hearing Charlie Parker on bass)
    Wayman ; Yeah I can hear the Stanleyisque type tone in some of his soloing but with that being said I think he 's doing a incredible job
    Also Wayman's abillitie to make record that's not WAY WAY out there says something also
  15. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    I like his playing.

My favorite tune of his is 'Washington High' on the 'In The Zone' album.

It has a very nice flowing bassline and the melody is very catchy.

I'm not sure, but I believe I saw him on 'Showtime At The Apollo' several years ago.

All I remember was a huge guy, playing a lefty black bass. I really liked what he did and if I remember right, he did pretty good.

I'm thinking of trying to email him to ask if he was on Apollo sometime.

Overall all, I think he's pretty good and like his compositions. Like someone said, his stuff is not very 'way out there', compared to other bassists. His stuff is great to listen to when you don't want to try and figure out what someone is doing.

Just my .02
  16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Cool that he plays.
    His playing does nothing for me.
    I agree, seems all worked out.
    All sizzle, no steak.