Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ways to increase output

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Groovecenter, Jun 22, 2004.

1. I have a warmoth jazz with Dimarzio ultra jazz (5 string pups) and an aguilar OBP-3. The output is on the low side (meaning my passive stock American Jazz is a decent amount louder than this bass). Will pot value play a large role in output? I have 250 ks wired up as I had them sitting around, but plan on rewiring with 500 when I refinish the bass and add series/parrallel switching and possible a passive tone.

Also, does anyone know if the aguilar has an adjustable gain anywhere or way?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Aguilar doesn't have an adjustable gain.

Pot value will play a part in the frequency range that's 'let through', but not in the volume.

As to the pickups, those are only two wire so you have no series/parallel choices. I don't know if they're hardwired in series or parallel - parallel giving you less output than series.

3. JasonLamb

JasonLamb

Aug 17, 2007
    i have the exact same issue...if i find a solution I will let you know.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    This is a good way to make any bass hotter.

[​IMG]

5. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Raise the pickup height.
    I had his issue on a used bass(low output) and raised the pickups to increase output(and I mean pickup almost touching the strings when playing hard on the last fret).

The boost idea above works well too.

6. No joke!!!

7. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    Rio
    Strange, OPB-3 is a high output preamp.

But if you want more output out of you bass you should get a J-Retro Preamp. This nice device is a great piece of engineering and sounds fantastic.
    You can adjust the volume of each pickup independently and it has HUGE (+12db) amounts of gain. I mean, it can blow anything you plug your bass in!!

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Raising pickup height can help a little. Useing booster pedal wether eq or comp etc can also help. Me if I got a preamp whose output was less then most of the passives Ive played, Id get rid of the preamp and replace it with a different one by another brand. No reason for a preamp to have weak output compared to passive basses imo. But Im weird like that. Lol.

9. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    Rio
    Except if the preamp is designed to be transparent and adding no "color" to the original tone.

Audere, Glocks, NordstrandÂ…are good examples of preamps with that kind if "philosophy".

Opting for an onboard preamp doesn't necessarily means "more output".

10. I could have sworn that the OBP-3 was a unity gain preamp?:confused: