1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WeedWacker strings

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by JDtheBassPlayer, Aug 8, 2011.

1. JDtheBassPlayer

JDtheBassPlayer

Jul 27, 2011
    I play classical at my school, and I have been getting into slap and rockabilly. I've heard of and looked up WeedWackers, but I only have one bass, the one I use for school, and I wanted to know can I use bow on WeedWackers? Are there any other strings like WeedWackers that are used for slap? I really want to play I just don't want to buy a new bass :smug:

2. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Weedwacker type strings are horrible for arco. If you sand them (or they're already pre-textured) you might be able to pull a sound out of them - but it's not a good one, and you'd really be struggling with them in a band/orchestra setting.

Light or downtuned solo gauge orchestral strings usually sound pretty good slapped, IME. Synthetic core options like Evah Pirazzi's (again, weich or solo) sound especially good, and still work really well under the bow.

IMO, IME, YMMV, etc. etc...

3. That's a bit of an over-generalization. The set of Lamberts Deluxe weedwackers I have bow well for what they are, but as you correctly mentioned, they're textured unlike other, similar strings.

JD, quite honestly, what you're looking for is something else that Spirocores are good at. My German ply that gets most of my playing time is strung with fairly dead Spiro Mittel ADG and a Stark E. Slapping that bass is more work than slapping a bass strung with whackers or gut, but if the strings are worn in enough they make a nice "thunk" rather than the "gank" that newer Spiros make.

4. i have to disagree. i don't think weedwackers sound horrible with a bow. in fact, i think they sound better than spirocores for arco. spirocores are too bright and harsh sounding too me. and weedwackers are mellow like an unwrapped all-gut string. not as good as gut, but similar... depending on which brand of weedwacker you use. they are not all the same. but they are all very CHEAP! some are like $20 on ebay! my two cents is to buy a set and try them out for yourself. if you hate'em you're not out very much $$$

reverendrally likes this.
  5. JDtheBassPlayer

JDtheBassPlayer

Jul 27, 2011
    OK thanks, I just feel like I don't want to use metal, if I buy something like weed wackers and I get them to bow will I be able to do forte and piano and accents. Also if someone has a video or a sample of arco on weed wackers or any other type of string I would love to hear it.

6. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Krivo Pickups
    Try Innovation 140B in solo gauge. They have a loose but not floppy tension and bow fantastic while having a dark pizz and nice slap tone.

7. The whacker D and G aren't too bad with arco, I actually find them a bit better to bow than gut. But you're gonna have a hell of a time with that E. It can be done but it is very difficult to start the note and hard to get those triple forte notes you're talking about because it's so loose it can bottom out pretty easy.

It can be done but it's harder to make it sound good. Blending with a section will be more difficult too. maybe when the new lamberts are out they will be better.

As mentioned before, Evah Pirazzi solo gauge or innovation 140B solo gauge tuned to orchestra pitch work nicely. Both bow very well, the pirazzis are a little higher tension and a bit brighter than the 140s.

So I guess it depends on what's more important to you.

8. JDtheBassPlayer

JDtheBassPlayer

Jul 27, 2011
    OK thanks for all the suggestions, and even though I take playing the bass very seriously I don't want to buy $100 to $200 strings. I've seen on ebay there are some gut strings, and it's a G and a D in the park at around $1. If any of you guys have a sample or video of you playing arco on weed wackers I want to see it.

9. PaulKing

PaulKing

Apr 17, 2004
    London, UK
    Your options are a bit limited if you're looking under $100...

Whackers are fun for slapping, especially really high end versions like Lamberts (which are purpose made, not off the shelf whacker line at all actually).
    Mid range strings like Eurosonic, Innovation ... they will all do you very well, but set you back well over $100 unless you can get used.
    And yes, Innovation Braided Solos are great for slapping and Arco. There's a youtube clip of me somewhere playing a set of those ... hang on..
    Innovation Solos ... for RABbass.com obsessives - YouTube

10. HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Krivo Pickups
    If price is a real big thing, you could maybe try super sensitive sensicore solos. They are basically the American version of the innovation 140b, and a little cheaper on this side of the pond.

11. ZOMBIE THREAD... :nailbiting:

I've just put a slaphappy kevlar weedwacker on my G after breaking TWO velvets strings in the same week (yeah, don't even ask). I had the weedwackers sitting in a draw and needed something to play on for Christmas dates. Here are my impressions...

Bowing; The bow grips well and sounds quite nice. I find the smooth surface easier than the Anima D.

Pizz; it's buzzing around the D-F on the G string, but I can stop that by moving my hand up the board toward the heal.

Otherwise, I really like it. It's more stable to tune than the Velvets. This thread is making me tempted to swap my D over to a weedwacker too.

12. HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Krivo Pickups
    Have you ever tried plain gut?

13. No. Thoughts?

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021