Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ween bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Apr 18, 2005.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey i was with a friend awhile back and he played me a ween cd that was a country cd :eyebrow: . I dont know anything about ween so keep that in mind! But i have heard a bit of there rock stuff and was very shocked to think that those are the same cats playing on the country cd :eyebrow: ! The few songs that i have heard of the rock stuff didnt really shock me musically but the country thing was great! If those boys did that then my hats off to them :bassist: ! And i cant stand country. But they do it so well and every tune has great apeal to it. Sooo my question is,these guys must have had a long run in the coutry world? Or did they have studio musicians do it for them. The bassist did such a awsome job of good country playing without dorking it up. The lyrics do wonders,i personally like leave you on the farm,and piss up a rope. When i heard that piss up a rope i laughed so hard i almost farted :scowl: ! And really that is the only song on the cd that couldnt or shouldnt be a top hit in the country world. No more cheesy john deere green stuff get these boys to show them how its done :bassist: ! You really should check it out even if you dont like ween. Totally differnt in all ways possible. So tell me what ya guys know!

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Ween are mostly known for their goofball psych-rock than country. But they have dabbled in country on a few of their other records (notably, Chocolate and Cheese). They got country session musicians to play on "12 Country Greats", Ween is great (though some folks 'round these parts don't fancy them) they were one of the first bands I got into. Very talented guys who have created some of the funniest/creepiest/catchiest music ever.

3. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Well i hat to say it but i really am kinda a music snob. I think alot of people here can say that. I mainly listen to jazz, and jam rock bands. I was never super crazy about the other stuff but i havent heard enough of it to really judge anyways. But i was impressed with that cd. But the session players worked very well with each other. And what ever part of the cd that ween actually did i am still cool and the gang with. Very cool cd!

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I forget what his name is, but there was an article about him in a fairly recent BP magazine. He mostly plays with strictly country cats, but now he's had a few people come up to him recognizing his name from the Ween Cd. Country bass is very driving, it's always what moves the song along.

5. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yeah i know country i grew up in the ozarks in southern missouri. Thats why i was so floored, When i say i cant stand country i was refering to most all country put out after lets say 1965 or so.

6. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Confidential to Matt Till: Ween sucks.

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    This just in: forum user "Thee" has no taste in music whatsoever.

8. yacoub

yacoub

Mar 12, 2005
    Ween is neat because they clearly have musical talent and they expresss it with songs from different musical genres and styles on each album. They're also really really whacked out on drugs to come up with half the stuff they do, lol.

My favorite track though, is Bananas and Blow. Such a catchy tune. :D

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    We go live to our man on the street, Chester P. Autowank... Chester...

"Thanks Brent, Ladies in Gentlemen, shocking reports show Ween is awesome... back to you Brent."

10. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    LOL Matt, in total agreement :)

11. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    the mollusk and ocean man are great tunes