1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weight of a double bass?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by deadacc30202, Jul 18, 2009.

1. deadacc30202

deadacc30202

Jul 18, 2009
    Yes, the question is definitely off-topic. How much does a double bass and an appropriate travel container weigh? I'm running a pen-and-paper gaming campaign, and I've got a slap-bass/bluegrass nut in the group wanting his bard to tote a double bass around. The trouble is, this guy hasn't been within 20 feet of a double bass in real life, and to be honest, neither have I (although as a VERY casual music listener, I do enjoy the tones it can produce, whether plucked, "slapped," or drawn). I'm not in a habit of flat-out saying "no" to my players (especially with all the other tomfoolery inherent in gaming), but I think a start to pulling him back into reality (or plausible suspension of disbelief) would be knowing how heavy his door-defying instrument of choice actually is. I scouted a few sites, but I didn't find an actual weight for the instrument. With apologies as an orchestral music nitwit, can anyone help me out here?

DLemos likes this.
  2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    The DB will run approximately 20 to 25 lbs and the trunk can be anywhere from 45 lbs to well, a lot more, depending on the trunk.

All of this info is available using the Search function. :)

DLemos likes this.
  3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Since you're unfamiliar with the world of double bass, you should probably know that basses are carried by a hereditary caste of bass attendants, typically three for a full size bass, one to hold open elevator doors, and an additional attendant for the bow.

Remyd and MDrost1 like this.
  4. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    :D

5. deadacc30202

deadacc30202

Jul 18, 2009
    Thank you for the information. I was having trouble both online and here finding the weight of the instrument from result pages packed with the weights of amplifiers and other supplemental gear. Also, I was searching in kilograms -- should have known better, I suppose.

Interesting. That explains the dozens of people with smaller luggage entering performance halls alongside the bassists -- I had supposed that they were stage crew or something, but if they're with the bassist, that's fine as well. I'll have to consult the rules on minions...if our dear bard is going to bring five retainers along, I'm going to have to beef up the base defenses. Could the double bass be used as partial cover against medieval projectiles in a firefight? :bag: Maybe in a few levels, he can get a smith to add armor spikes to it, making the bass obstructed terrain for any approaching foes...

;)

6. Spikes would put the bass firmly in Rockabilly territory, where a whole new set of minions would be needed. Three, at least -- one to clean the spikes to keep the tone from becoming muffled, one to refill the fog machine and a massage therapist to keep the bassist loose from all the jumping on the bass (tricky with those spikes) and playing behind his back.

7. voidsaverob

voidsaverob

May 2, 2016
    I, (a rather strong man in his late teens), recently carried a bass about two and a half kilometres. It was miserable after about 50 metres, and took me almost two full hours.

james condino likes this.
  8. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    And it's useful to have a minion to tell the double bass player how good he is. With this assurance the player will smile more frequently and lose that 'bass face'.

9. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Wow. That should be it's own thread... "Cure for Bass Face"

10. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    When people ask me, How much does that thing weigh? I always answer with a question, You do realize it's hollow?

Julia H likes this.
  11. gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    When people ask me, How much does that thing weigh? I always answer with a question, You do realize it's hollow?

12. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    How is the answer not "What, maybe 95 or 100 pounds? Not too bad."

My bass weighs 34 lb, just the right weight to intimidate someone. :roflmao:

DLemos and gerry grable like this.
  13. gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010

That's like the sign taped to the mirror hanging behind the taproom bar:

Henway for sale.

Customer: What's a henway?
    Bartender: Oh, about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds.