1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weird discoloration on index fingertip

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mert98, Sep 9, 2020.

1. mert98

mert98

Sep 9, 2020
    Hi guys,

I am new here and I created this account for this specific question. I couldn't find anything and I hope this is the right forum.

I've been playing for 2 years now. 3 days ago I played for like 2 - 3 hours straight fingers only and really hard as well. Yesterday I have noticed a weird discoloration on my index fingertip. I have no idea if maybe plucking too hard may have caused it. It doesn't hurt either. It just some weird brown spot and it looks like the skin might have been burned?

Here is a pic:

Anyone else had this before? Should I be worried?

2. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Welcome to TB!
    That's maybe a little internal bleed...or as you suggest a friction burn.
    Unless it starts spreading or blistering...or the fingertip falls off, I wouldn't worry!

What strings are you using? They new?

gebass6 and DJ Bebop like this.
  3. mert98

mert98

Sep 9, 2020
    Hello good sir, thanks for your reply :)

I am using 1 week old Rotosound RS66LD strings. I am a huge fan of geddy lee and I think I was digging in too deep. I had a flew blisters before but this is something new.

I wish you an amazing day!

4. Lagado

Lagado Inactive Suspended

Jan 6, 2020
    Looks like a little bruising rather than a full blood spot. This is just the beginning...

gebass6 and five7 like this.
  5. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    A bass tech I know was using a normal fret board moisturizer ( lemon oil?) on an old Fodera and a previously applied dressing sort of “ gummed” up so that when the owner played it for about 15 minutes, his fingers turned brown/ black and he had to use acetone to get it off his fingers. The bass cleaned up with normal fretboard cleaner, thank goodness!

6. I think you're right, it is from digging in. I get that after gigs sometimes.

If it starts to concern you, talk to a doctor. Medical advice on TB is really out there lol

Also welcome!

rtav likes this.
  7. Blood blister under the skin, you need to work up slowly to that much playing.

This is normal and to be expected, your finger is telling you that you're over doing it.

Like an athlete that runs a mile and day, then decides to do a marathon, and is then surprised by blisters.

I would bet you're not practicing 2 to 3 hours a day, and if you want to do a gig safely you need to be practicing at least that much.

Good luck,
    Dirk

LowActionHero, rtav and Eli_Kyiv like this.
  8. You could rest your finger and try playing with a pick for a bit, just to learn how to use one, you know ;)

9. mert98

mert98

Sep 9, 2020
    thanks for all the answers guys - you rock!

10. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Well if you just keep your fingers out of your nose you wouldnt get that

=)

2112 likes this.
  11. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    And watch out for yer palms from, eh, neck friction.

QweziRider likes this.
  12. Yellow Bang66

Yellow Bang66

Jun 5, 2019
    Used to get'em all the time. because I kind of bulldoze through (digging in hard), probably not a good practice. That looks like a small broken blood blister(a blister with a little blood drop in it:E )thats why its turning brown. I dont believe its anything to worry about, not too serious. at least for me.
    You need to ease up a bit; turn your amp up, let it do the heavy lifting, not your fingers.

13. arbiterusa

arbiterusa Guest

Sep 24, 2015
    DO NOT ASK INTERNET FORUMS FOR MEDICAL ADVICE, GO SEE A DOCTOR.

That’s what they are there for.

14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Use a spoon when mixing curry spices.

OogieWaWa likes this.
  15. Drucifer

Drucifer Not currently practicing Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Endorsements: your name could be here, Mr. Sadowsky!
    I've had it before, like a blood blister but not raised, from digging in too hard.

LowActionHero and gebass6 like this.
  16. mert98

mert98

Sep 9, 2020
    Thanks again for all the replies. I won't make the same mistake again. I am currently practicing with a pick

Helix likes this.
  17. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    To prevent that use a fine grit sandpaper to smooth down your fingerprint ridges. They fold on each other and cause blisters which is where that little mark on your finger is headed.

18. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Probably just a spot of Ebola... it’ll pass.

vvvmmm likes this.
  19. I wouldn't worry until they look like this, then you'll know you're playing too much :)
    born-with-short-fingers-and-normal-thumb-symbrachydactyly.jpg

20. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021