Weird Hal Leonard "6-String Bassics" question.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Dwitt33, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Dwitt33

Dwitt33

Nov 24, 2014
    Saint Charles, MO
    1. Does anyone know what kind of bass is on the cover of this David Gross instructional book?
    2. Is/Was this book helpful for you?
    I'm relatively new to the forum, but have learned so much from you all. Thank you for any help you give...

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

This one?

00695221.gif

I have no idea, I am curious though. You may have better luck making a dedicated thread to identifying the bass.

I've never used the book but I highly recommend Hal Leonard products, I would be surprised if I found this book lacking.

3. DiabolusInMusic

4. Dwitt33

Dwitt33

Nov 24, 2014
    Saint Charles, MO
    That's the one! Looks like an amazing bass. Thanks.

Anyone else recognize this?

5. Dwitt33

Dwitt33

Nov 24, 2014
    Saint Charles, MO
    DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  6. DiabolusInMusic

My pleasure. For future reference I just googled the author's name and "custom bass," this was the first result.

7. Dwitt33

Dwitt33

Nov 24, 2014
    Saint Charles, MO
    Thanks again. I must have used too many words in my Google search.

8. Steve-Mo

Steve-Mo Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Western NY
    In my opinion, the only somewhat worthwhile section of the book is the one on chords. Even then, I expect a bassist that felt the need to grab a 6-string to know: 1. basic chord theory 2. how to apply the C-string in voicings and extensions.

Whippet and Dwitt33 like this.
  9. Dwitt33

Dwitt33

Nov 24, 2014
    Saint Charles, MO
    Thanks Steve-Mo. What I saw on scales I already figured out. And figuring it out demonstrated the value of a 7-string.

10. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I have played a sixer as my main bass since 2007. IMHO, there isn't really anything you need to learn that's different from a 4-string, at least not that you'd need a book for. You obviously need to learn some new notes. I suggest practicing scales in two octaves across all six strings. And chord voicings can be translated from the four or five by moving certain notes up an octave. But if you have some self-discipline, you should be able to figure out that stuff by yourself without a book.

Whippet, Dwitt33 and PaulJSmith like this.
  11. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Only 2 octaves? I usually go with 3 or 4 just to get used to using the whole thing. Come to think of I've been playing a 6 since about 2004. Where does the time go.

I'll just say one of the reasons I love the 6 is that I'm kind of lazy in some ways. I like having 2 octaves and a 4th under my fingers without having to shift.

Another good way to really learn what is going on in the high end is to pick up some Stanley Clarke Tenor Bass transcriptions and work through them.

C/S,
    Rev J

Whippet and Dwitt33 like this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022