Weird question. Blisters?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JoeDissolvo, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Hey everyone. I have kind of a weird question.

I play with a pick, and play really fast punk rock. And sometimes after a show, I get a blister on the outside of my thumb. Ill attach a pic of it.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is there any way I could possibly change my technique to make it stop? It really gets bad sometimes, and im tired of wiping blood off my bass after shows.

2vd0e3q.jpg

2. AmadeusXeno

AmadeusXeno

Mar 8, 2011
    Maine
    I'm guessing that this is your picking hand. I can only think of 2 things. First option is to deal with it 'till you build a callous. Second, maybe try holding the pick differently so you aren't rubbing the side of your thumb against the strings. If that's not what's causing the blister then let us know what is so we can try to be a better help to you.

3. twbassman

twbassman

Jul 16, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Eventually you will develop a callous. Try putting a piece of electric tape or a bandaid over that spot. Try it before a show, take some time to get used to it.

4. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... or run a dab of Nu-Skin (or even Super Glue) over the area in a large enough patch as to not rub off easily and you wont even know its there .. simply creating a 'second skin' until the area develops a callous from the inside ... if all else fails, white hockey tape or even a fingerless 'weight lifting' type glove on that hand ... might even start a fad amongst your followers :)

5. Youngbrett

Youngbrett

Mar 3, 2011
    I use my fingers but u just pay through it if it's realy bad us a dab of superglue where the blister forms, instant callice

6. Highway27

Highway27

Feb 11, 2011
    I think AmadeusXeno hits it right, looks like it's scraping on the strings. Maybe look at some bigger picks (I prefer to play with rounded triangles) so you can hold them farther away from the strings, or maybe change the angle of your bass neck so that your thumb gets less exposure along the string.

7. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Try--- not playing so hard.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021