1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Weird Question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LazyZombie, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Does the grill on the cabinet effect the sound of the bass? Or is it barely noticable?

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    nope, you are fine.

3. Yeah that's what I always thought. But someone planted the seed of doubt when he asked me when i was playing the other day... and i was like, "Huh? I never thought about that..."

4. I bet some make SOME difference... You get Hi Fi speaker, take the front off and they are so much more clear!

Plus you could get closer to the speaker with a mic...

Might be barely noticeable but still a difference!

5. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Speaker grills are mostly transparent. If there is a slight muffleing of the sound, it would barely be noticable. And, of course the grill protects the speaker cones.

6. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    you could take it off in the studio to help mic placement, but i would never remove them on a gig. very minimal (if any) sound difference.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The frame that the grill is attached to affects the sound more than the grille itself, and then primarily in the higher frequencies well above those of electric bass.

8. Most studio monitors don't have a grill on the front, but that's a bit different to a bass amp I suppose.

I took the speaker grilles off my home stereo, and I think it sounds better, but it may be the placebo effect. :)

Anyhow, I'd much prefer to have well protected speakers, than a barely-noticable difference in sound quality. ;)

9. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    It affects the sound about the same as oxygen free speaker cables and horoscopes - ENORMOUSLY.