1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

weird room fix suggestions

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Slade N, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Slade N

Slade N Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    played a weird room last night, large, low ceiling, very live room wide verb with slapback, decent amount of windows part carpet part concrete flooring. i had us set up away from the walls as much as possible, we were put in a corner. i chained together a few cables together to get into the room about 55-60 feet to hear the mix. the vocals and drums sounded huge and awesome, bass was mushy. volume was amplified by the room and didnt help, we played as quiet as possible. i tried reduced bass then more mids on account if the reflections to get a decent bass sound but the size of the room wanted more bass to not sound thin with full band playing. ive dealt with reflective out door venues and other indoor venues similar gut nothing to this degree, any suggestion on combating this situation?

2. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    You did everything I would have done. There is no easy cure for that type of room.

3. Davesound

Davesound

Apr 30, 2013
    Hi

After being in sound for 50 years.Some room's will only get better with some kind of accoustical treatment.I've hit this in rooms we play .It's the room that really needs the help.Since you are just visiting ,it's not always possible to over come or adjust some accoustics during a one night gig.
    To me it some times makes a night that should be a fun gig and leaves me very exasperated,and maybe upset.

Thanks
    Davesound

4. Room dimensions? What amps on "stage"? I'm not getting how you could be in the corner and away from walls. Being a low ceiling, no stage, I'm thinking it was some kind of reception catering room, might hold 200 people tops? Playing "down" the room or across?

Since vocals and drums sounded good there's no reason bass shouldn't have also. It sounds like you might have done better cranking your rig and not being in the PA or vice versa.

I hope you had your mains up high and tilted down? Slapback is a bitch!

5. Slade N

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    dont know the dimensions, was big, youre in the right line of thinking, reception/convention room, could hold 400 maybe 500 people, no stage.

we had space to work with in the large area that they put us in but it was still a corner thus in the corner but away from walls. we faced across the room diagonally. mains on floor, had no other option.

my amp. eden wt550' two stacked xlt212s....played much quieter than rehersal

6. Big room alright! What about the PA and monitors? Just mains on tripods or subs too? How many people paying attention? Doesn't sound like a concert, more like a dinner dance function, not allowed to be conversation killing loud, 'FOH everything' could have been overkill and backline only might have been totally fine?

My guess is you would have been pumping roughly equal volume from your rig and the PA ie instamud. Perhaps you could have highpassed the FOH bass high, 200hz say, and boosted your lows on the rig. Or put up with gutted stage amp, unplugged bottom cab, pointed monitor back across band, and used FOH with pre EQ. Shock horror.

7. Slade N

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    monitors = 2 wedges and a powered monitor, mains = 2 215 columns. yes conversation level was a issue for first half before dinner, after they didnt mind more volume. 200 peeps roughly.

Only vocals thru mains.

8. Oh! Sounds like a good gig to get. Shame about the sound, not much you can do but tweak EQ for anything specifically booming out of control. Your Eden has pretty handy parametric doesn't it?

9. How did you have your 2x12 cabs set? Tall column is usually best but the slapback might have made crossfiring advantagious. Side by side or low stacked would be contributing to lack of definition.

10. Slade N

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    eq close to flat

11. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    Oh boy....Crappy room and a Corner thats a nightmare.You pray the place jams with people.

12. Davesound

Davesound

Apr 30, 2013
    Hi

Since no one else has come up with a solution .Keep your volume down on Pa and band.Since lows are none directional taper them off quickly. Prey the room is full of people.Unfortunitly people are a great accoustical treatment.We use a Bose MA- 12 sound column on the PA.It is designed to work in difficult rooms ..Not a normal band set up.

Good Luck

Dave