1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Well I did it! I got one!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StarscreamG1, Oct 18, 2009.

1. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Hi all *waves* Long time no post.

Several months ago I posted a thread talking about Rickenbackers. I finally decided to try one. I got lots of great advice on that thread but some felt Id be disappointed because of their body shape and highly recommended that I play one before I bought one to be sure. In my defense I have a seriously hard edged/bound law suit Les Paul that doesnt bother me in the slightest when I get those red grooves on my arm (I know you all know what Im talking about LOL) and I was basing that in my opinion that a Ric would not bother me. And Im sure that was met with some amusement...

Well, I know me, I know that les paul, I know what I can tolerate and I was not daunted in my quest for /my/ rickenbacker. I did some research and asked around on the best years as I really hate baseball bat necks and I narrowed down the years I needed to look for.

I did indeed find one, Fedex delivered it yesterday. All I can say is WOW This baby fits me like a glove. It has a very thin neck, thin body, feels beautiful, sounds amazing. This Ric is just WOW.

It is a 1981 4003, Jetglo (fingerprint glo :p as you will see in the pics LOL). I have been told it is a bit unusual for an 81 as thin as its neck is. Its neck is thinner then the neck on my 95 Fender Cowpoke. The body is even thin on it. It feels so awesome!!! The binding/edging on it isnt as hard as my Les Paul so needless to say I dont even notice it. This bass is simply to die for. Me and this Ric were meant for each other. I love this bass so much, I hate to say this but half the other basses I own right now I dont really care if I ever touch again. Oh my Cowpoke and T40 and Dyna are going nowhere but I dont really care about the rest of them now. Not after bringing this Ric into the stable. I love this bass!!!

Its not in perfect condition, its got some nice warm mojo on it and I love it. Its also from what Ive been told not too common in that it has the 7 screw tailpiece so no 'tail lift' with it. It has the 2 piece pickguard as its T rod adjustments are on the bottom of the neck not the headstock. It came with its original case which is in fair (EDIT: I really took a look at this case. It rocks. Missing a strip of leather on the front but other then that its super!) condition but gets the job done protecting it nicely and thats all that matters. I grabbed this baby for some cash and my Squier VMJ in trade. I love this Ric!!!! :bassist:

Ric1.

Ric2.

Ric3a.

Not mint but not bad condition at all! Though it has had a repair back from either too high tension strings or a mangled truss rod adjustment and there were some neck heel/body issues with it. Its an old repair that was done by a pro and this bass is rock solid and is just heaven with strings to play and hold. I have the bridge pup cover in the case just havent put it on yet.

I love this Ric!

2. lots of envy over here bud....congrats!!!!

3. Welcome back and congrats on a sweet Ric!

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Awesome, you finally got one! Congrats!:bassist::hyper::)

Now stick around for a bit! :p

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Awesome lookin' Ric. I love Jetglo, it looks so mean. Congrats, and don't ever let her go.

6. You've been looking for one of these for quite some time. I'm so glad you were able to get one that fits you so well. Congrats!

7. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I'm just looking for a Rickenfaker. :( Wish I could afford the real thing.

8. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Thanks for the comments! Oh yes to anyone that knows me here, Jetglo was the only color Id go for. Black is just the color for a bass IMO (or sun/tobacco burst if I cant get black :p). LOL And no, I dont ever plan on letting him go till Im too old to play him. This Ric is so OFF the market for a few decades, I can tell you that. Unless selling it would save me or a close ones life literally, this bass is going NO WHERE.

I still cant believe I struck perfection with my first Ric purchase. Ive read so much about how inconsistent they can be on neck thickness and stuff and I do not have much tolerance for thick necks but this one just looked 'right' when I saw it. I cant explain it, it just looked like it had the neck I was looking for. And it did. Of course I made sure to ask about it before I committed to buying it.

As for price? Oh Im far from a rich person. Man if some people knew what I went through to get all my other basses last year. The seller was so sweet and worked with me on time/payments. It was the only way Id ever get one of these I know. Cash wise it wasnt that bad but it was a fair chunk. And trading my VMJ toward it helped a lot too.

All I can say to anyone wanting to try a Ric; dont jump at the first one.. look and look and wait... the right one will come along. I just kicked back and waited and kept an eye out. I knew when /mine/ would come along and boy did the 'patience' pay off. And do your research on the years!! Actually from what Ive learned '81s werent that known for thin necks but a small % of them did have it... this one sure did ... its like its not even there when Im playing it.. its just WOW!

Ive affectionately dubbed it the Ric-O-Nator.. LOL dont ask me why, thats just what Ive called it from the moment its purchase became official and I started paying on it. :p

9. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    Nice! heres my 81 Jetglo...brothers in arms :bassist:

ric.

10. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Sweet looking ric! ^_^ Looks nicer then mine actually :p But I love the mojo on mine so much (huggles her Ric). The binding has become this nice warm yellowish, it looks so cool. Cant see it too well in the case though in the pics. Ive noticed yours has a one piece PG. Ive got so much to learn about Rics. I gather some 81s had the truss adjustment at the neck heel and others at the headstock? The neck on yours is really dark too. As you can see mines pretty light. Actually in my watching and looking, its got one of the lightest necks Ive seen.

History wise, the friend I bought it from bought it from someone who gigged with it as far as I know. That Rics seen a lot of bars. Its been well broke in and lovingly (save for the goof some point in its past that got it a neck heel/body repair). This one has been used and loved, you can tell. I plan on getting a new pup surround for it and PG, buff it out, and then just cherish and play it as long as Im able too!!! I just cant believe I went all these years without a Ric....

11. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    Those are hard to come by as Ric stomps on a lot of the sales. I wouldn't mind finding one myself.

12. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    There's one in the classifieds right now. Search "Electra Corsair". It's a fantastic Fireglo copy, with checkerboard binding, but it is a bolt on neck. The seller really needs to move it cause of a car crash. I was going to buy it, but really can't justify it at the moment.

13. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    dont let the camera angle fool you, shes pretty beat up haha

14. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    I know the one of which you speak.
    And I would be on it in a minute if I had the money he is asking.
    (Although I'd be close if my #$%# SB-2 Tribby would sell)

Bolt on doesn't bother me. In truth I prefer them to neck through just because of the potential for any neck repairs needed down the line. It's easier and cheaper to repair a bolt on. ;)

15. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    :p Well she takes a very good picture then. Mines got the assorted scuffs and minor dings here and there, mainly on the headstock but a few on the body. No biggie to me. As clumsy as I can be it actually would not pay for me to have gotten one in minty shape :bag: And the Ric is in my lap right now.. cant stop playing it... I usually always grab my RBX200 but I just look at it now and shake my head... LOL

I need to take a shot of the back of my Ric to show one of those neck repairs from a neck through bass. Ive always owned bolt on necks. I had a 64 Gibson EBO that was a neck through and no probs but just the thought if something went wrong. This Rics been through it and thank god it got a professional repair!!! I love Peavey Dyna basses but I refused a deal on a Dyna Unity because it was a neck through. This Ric will be the only neck through one I own.

16. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    Ricks sound nice, but I personally think they look hideous.

17. kingpin2512

kingpin2512

Aug 9, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Starscream welcome back! Great looking ric you got there. I'm so happy you finally got the ric you wanted and deserved.

18. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    :oops: I've never seen a bass that looks cooler than a Ric. I drool whenever I see them......wish I could have one......

19. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    When I got my first good look at one, I wasnt sure what to make of them. LOL The body design was ok, the headstock I was really likewarm on and the pickguard was a big NO (that and I wasnt sure about the litte chrome on the one pup and the huge chrome housing on the other one.. eh :eyebrow:)... LOL I have openly discussed here my dislike for the PGs on them... but the more I looked at them, the more they grew on me. I think their aesthetics is an /acquired/ taste and once you like them, you are hooked. ^_^ My 'Ric-O-Nator' is just beautiful to me now as are other Rics I see pics of.

Thanks! This was a one shot deal cause I is a po person so it had make it count for all it was worth. And I hit a bullseye with it!! (I got it from a TBer actually but I wont mention who unless they want me to).

20. Augh. So so so so jealous. My dream bass right there.