Well, maybe because new music suxx

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by basscooker, Jan 27, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    Is Old Music Killing New Music?

Ok, generally. I'm supper sure there are tons of great new bands and talented young artists.

But in reality the gist of this article kinda makes me chuckle and go "yup".

Thoughts?

Rocker47, DJ Bebop, Old_Noob and 4 others like this.
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I think we're in a time of extraordinary musical creativity. You'd have to go back to early 90's to find something similar. Jazz pop rock rap metal and other genres have outbursts of beautiful creations.
    Unfortunaly, young people don't buy much music anymore. Older people go toward older music.

3. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    I'm joking of course to a degree. But anecdotally, I have a group of under 21 yo guys in my kitchen whose Playlists are nearly all 60s 70s 80s with a few 90s and newer tunes sprinkled in. I asked one day if they're doing it for me haha but no, they just like the older stuff better.

4. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Because of you lol!
    I’m 21 and I listen to a wide mix as well

From Bruno Mars and silk sonic
    To blackbox 90s
    Duran Duran 80s
    Chic 70s!

I blame my dad but as you being the musical parent
    You showed them music they wouldn’t have ever listened to at all!

5. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Well, let's face it, Millennials and Gen-Z haven't come up with anything new except avocado toast, the man-bun, and covering your ENTIRE body with tattoos (Yeah, I know, my father's WW2 Navy buddies had tattoos...). No wonder they're constantly trying to cop our music.

6. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I hate to disagree but you are referring to mostly rap music

Dua lipa and the weekend are actually very 80s inspired albums as well as Miley cyrus and her newer material !

Silk sonic and Bruno Mars really does give a Marvin Gaye vibe

7. BarqsBitMe

BarqsBitMe

Dec 5, 2021
    USA
    And the thing about young people not buying music anymore isn't totally on them/us. So many things have moved to a subscription based model and it is increasingly difficult and/or annoying to find somewhere to buy a song or album. Even then, if you buy you can only use that file on the platform it was made for. In other words, I can't buy songs from ITunes and then move those files to other devices unless they also have ITunes. Even with ITunes, each and every time I open it to look for music I want to buy I am bombarded with ads for ******* Apple Music, which is of course subscription based. I absolutely loathe this perpetual renting of everything...and similarly this notion that one is not actually buying a song or album but rather leasing legal permission to access said song or album... permission that can and will be revoked at any time at a company's whim because there is nothing a normal person can do about it. Additionally is the fact that you simply cannot purchase songs or albums without going through some third party app that makes you give them your personal information. That only motivates people with the technical knowhow to pirate things. The industry has chosen this path... or rather the mega companies that control the industry have chosen this path.

hrodbert696, Outtaseezun, MVE and 9 others like this.
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's an interesting article, I'm on Ted's email/blog list and read it when it showed up. Ted is a pianist as well as writer. Rick Beato already has a video discussing it (he pretty much agrees with Ted).

Good news for classic rock dad bands ;)

9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I see a couple of reasons:

1. Since fewer people can actuallake any money recording music, there just are fewer "professional" musicians.
    2. The new generation grew up not paying for music - certainly not regularly. Most of the buyers are older, and that's what they know.
    3. The majority of the new music is not being made to sell, but as part ofmarketing other things
    4. Because almost anyone can put something together in their basement with a computer, the idea of waiting for the next Sgt. Peppers just isn't out there
    5. My personal reason - because every songs is done with unlimited tracks, and is compressed as @$-_#@, everything tends to sound the same.

10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    There are 10,000 more bands/artists/writers/performers today than there were when I was in high school.
    There are 10,000 more avenues to hear/see music of your choosing.

Maybe I'm older than last week's sushi but music is infinitely better today than it was in the 70s and 80s. You just have the option of not hearing music you don't like. That's the driver and that is the difference.

And you all are welcome to get on my lawn. What the heck is a lawn good for anyway if you can't step on it?

11. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Copying something their elders did in the 1980s hardly qualifies as "original", I think.

Anyone remember the old John Lee Hooker song "Twist Ain't Nothing but the Old Time Shimmy (like my Grandma did)"?

Nah, I thought not.

Huw Phillips and andare like this.
  12. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Well, the last two words up there constitute an oxymoron.

Templar, Auspuff, Crash 56 and 6 others like this.
  13. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    OK Boomer.

14. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Oh. My. God.

Are we really going forward with this conversation? Haven’t we had enough of this ageism crap in the last couple weeks with all the threads about how old everyone is and how much of TB convos are centred on old folks’ ideas and ideals?

Geez… it’s enough to make a middle aged bassist quit the forum. Seriously - I’ve had enough of this.

15. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    I was just posting an article that made me smirk.

This is why we can't have nice things.

16. Winton

Winton

Nov 21, 2017
    Tokyo, Japan
    A973FB6B-83D3-4AE4-A916-3BDB80BEFC8A.jpeg

17. Hasty

Hasty

Jul 4, 2014
    Fort Worth, Tx

Sure it can be original… just depends on how the material is approached.

I’ve been listening to a podcast lately about rock music history. Really opened my eyes on how everything was stolen from someone else from the late 1800’s onward. Elvis, the Beatles, all of them taking from someone prior to them. Even back then they knew about it and most artist expected it to happen.

One singer had her source material so blatantly copied by another artist that when she took out a life insurance policy, she listed the other singer as her beneficiary because obviously her death would affect the ability of the other singer to earn a living moving forward.
    Good stuff.

18. A couple of my fellow boomer friends are sporting (grey) man buns.

Ugh... looks like they're trying too hard to be cool to me.:rollno:

No offense to any man bun devotees. But really...

19. Winton

Winton

Nov 21, 2017
    Tokyo, Japan
    It doesn’t really bother me, personally. I grew up in Japan, and although samurais have been gone for almost a thousand years, they essentially had man buns. Heck, lot of Western countries have in the past as well!

P.S. I love how this conversation derailed so much from OP’s original intent of their post. #theinternetinanutshell

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.