Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Well..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aspire, Jun 22, 2005.

1. aspire

aspire Guest

Dec 28, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Soon I am going to be buying a complete new rig.

I am going to have $3000 AUD (approx. $2340 USD)

I have decided the bass I am going to get will be the Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass.

Now, with the left over money, I would like to get a head and a 4x10 cab. Something with a nice sound. I am going to be gigging with this new rig.

Does anybody have any suggestions for what I should do about an amp?

Thanks in advance.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Sounds like you should be playing an Eden if you play rock/metal. If not, check out SWR. What do you play exactly?

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The options are many.... you've got money for a high-end rig... but it just depends on your sound preference and whats available to you out there.

4. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    how much change do you expect to get from the Fender? Are you importing it?

5. aspire

aspire Guest

Dec 28, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Rock. Pretty much.

Musicianswarehouse.com.au have it for $1259 AUD.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    For heads, check out Ampeg, Eden, (used) Trace, Fender (the Bassman Pro 300 only though), and Mesa Boogie. For cabs check out Eden, SWR, Aggie, Mesa Boogie, and Schroeder.

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hate to burst the bubble. But with $1750 left over. Alot of the higher end stuff comes out of the question.

Gear over here is generally between 2-3x's the price of what it is in America. Especially with amps.

Look used and on ebay to try nab a couple bargains.

8. Ummm yeah- More or less just going to ad what others have said- in Australia it's difficult, I am doing a complete rig upgrade at the moment, and trying to get a second bass aswell for some gigs coming up.

123music.com , musicians friend and the like wont ship alot of stuff international, if any at all. I will give you a bit of advice though- check out www.basscentral.com, they are USA bassed, have great prices and great service. Will ship international also- and shipping high end cabinets works out a right *firetruck* load cheaper. I got my fender there, and I am looking at getting a 410 or 2x12" from there too...

-Cul

9. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
  10. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    +1 basscentral.com !!! grasshopper is a champ!

thats where I got my SR5... I would definitly buy from them again.

11. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    +1 on basscentral.

Got my Sterling from there. Great service, great price. Got my bass quickly and in pristine condition :)

12. aspire

aspire Guest

Dec 28, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    How long did it take to arrive?

13. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    I recently bought an amp head and 310 cab from Bass Central...They shipped it using Bax Global.....took about a week to arrive,.....not too expensive either

Cheers
    Oz

14. My Fender American Jazz, only took 5 days, VIA UPS- tracked it all the way. For cabinets, they use BAX Global, I have heard on a few counts that they have taken 6 or so days- tracking also available.

Just be awear of the taxes on gear coming into the country- if it gets here with UPS, Fedex etc... If it's over $250AUD total cost (inc Shipping), you will have to pay 10% GST and 5% customs dutie, plus the shipper will charge you fees for customs handling also. Can get expencive when buying expencive stuff, but normally the savings will be great.

However- if Something is sent via USPS,through the mail system the items total value, including shipping can be upto $1000AUD before attracting customs and GST. USPS also has tracking, Global Express- Handed over to Australian Air Express or Australia Post when it arrives, it makes for easy handling.

Shipping times with:
    USPS Global Express 3 to 5days: Generally 3 to 4days from WestCoast USA, 5days from East Coast
    USPS Global Express Mail: 4 to 7days: Generaly take 6days, occasionally 5days
    FEDEX: Express, 4 days + 1 in customs
    United Parcel Service (UPS): Scheduled for delivery date, one week.

Having said that, I have imported alot of stuff, pretty much my whole $4000 mountain bike come in pieces from the USA, by one of the above- my Bass from UPS and some other stuff from FEDEX. USPS Global Express is the way to go, if buying private- most companies wont use them unfortunatly, and there are size limits. But I have found them to be the cheapest, quickest in most cases, and most reliable in terms of delivery. Tracking is handy- track items from the USPS website whiles in the USA, once the item hit's our shores track it through Australia posts EMS site. Very easy, and reliable.

Hope that helps some... Now go call the guys at BassCentral now! Are they open yet :p

15. An Eden WT550 on Aussy ebay!
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=7330963078&rd=1

These are an absolute rockin head! While you might only have $500 left over with this head (if it goes for that price) you will have an amp that will last you a long time and you can save a bit more for a quality cabinet.

16. How much did Bass Central charge you US$ to ship? I just got a quote from Bass Central for a bass and it was $265.00 shipping. I thought that was quite high.

17. Ummm $240USD. Pretty high especialy since you can ship an 80lbs cab for $290USD using BAX. Private carriers are generally a rip of, it's simply because in the case of basses and cabinets, they are well oversize for USPS. UPS classes a bass w/case a 30lbs package due to it's Cubic Weight rules.

Tax on it was like 200AUD too... You always get stung usiong private carriers.

18. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    So Cul -where in Oz are you and what bike are you riding ? 4 grand get's a pretty sweet ride over here.

I was in Newcastle this winter for a bit and wished I'd had my bike for a jaunt up into the Hunter. Thinking about doing a trip down next winter and bringing either the roadie or the mtn bike along ...

19. I'm in Victoria, Geelong actually...

I race a bit of enduro and got a little sick of my 14kg Avanti hardtail. So Now I ride a sub 10kg Cove Handjob- not bad for a bike with a steel frame, and Fox Forks...

Prety much every bit on the bike was hand picked by me, I scoured ebay, American stores, big thums up Larry at MTN High Cyclery, even got some parts in Europe (hubs + Moots post)...

It's an awesome ride, the steel frame as amazing give with my heavy 190lbs ass on it, not at all like my former Alloy Hardtail. I have raced abit on it too, saw action at two 12hr's and two 24hr's and 3xc races since being "completed" about 10 months ago on of which was the Australian 24hr Chamionships (MONT). Good fun, this year was going to be full of racing, but other things have provailed... Back racing in July / August with a 6hr, 12hr and then another 12hr in Septmeber.

As for the price- the $4000 is $4000AUD, and a guess really, I have seen the bikes the distributer puts out, similar cost $4200(?) with a not as good spec... Retail on the Frame here is $1000, the forks also $1200, the magura brakes.... Well you get the idea- all the parts minus the frame, wheels and bars were brought from the USA.

When you come over, where would you be staying? Canberra / ACT is a great place for riding, most trails are just a ride from the city. Victoria has some great riding too. IF you ride a roadie, I presume your more into XC / Enduro / Trail riding rather than DH, FR type thing?

20. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    i'd go for that 550 man,

it's a good price and it will sound rad with the fender.

not sure on cabs, 2nd had would be the best bet i think.