Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Westerns

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kserg, Jan 25, 2005.

1. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    So i went to store... and saw "the good the bad the ugly" special edition... bought it... its worth it... kind of cool extras, its pretty bad... they have few stories about filming which were pretty cool... talking about Sergio Leone... so yeah.. Very cool...

So anyway, what i am getting at... if you guys like westerns or war movies list them up:) I want to see a good list:)

Eastwood and John Wayne are awesome:) (since I watched both of em today:) )

(i dont think this was done in past... i couldnt find it anyways...)

Cheers all..

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Young Guns and Young Guns II are excellent. I also care a great deal for The Unforgiven.

-Mike

3. The Magnificent Seven

Fist Full of Dollars

A Few Dollars More

Pale Rider

White Fang (well, I don't know if TECHNICALLY it's a western, since it happens in Alaska, but it's still a good movie)

Unforgiven

Little Big Man or How the West was Lost (that's the whole title)

Blazing Saddles (someone was going to mention it)

Anything with John Wayne.:D

Rock on
    Eric

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Tombstone
    The Unforgiven
    Open Range
    The Magnificent Seven
    The Wild Bunch
    Silverado
    Ride with the Devil (actually civil war but westernish)
    Blazing Saddles :D
    Rustler's Rhapsody ;)

War movies:
    Saving Private Ryan
    Black Hawk Down
    Platoon
    Glory
    The Great Escape (really an escape movie but set in WWII)
    Kelly's Heroes
    The Guns of Navarone
    Return to Navarone
    U-571
    The Dirty Dozen
    The Longest Day
    Hell is for Heroes
    Where Eagles Dare
    The Band of Brothers series
    A Bridge Too Far (I'm reading that book now too and it's excellent)
    Full Metal Jacket
    Tribes
    Stripes
    The Patriot
    Behind Enemy Lines

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

brad cook

5. All Quiet on the Western Front
    Bridge over the River Kwai
    Apocolypse Now
    All of the James Bond movies!!:D
    M*A*S*H
    Catch-22
    Dr. Strangelove
    Battle of Britain (Michael Cain and some GREAT air battle footage)
    Duck Soup

Rock on
    Eric

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I really liked Guns of Navarone and Battle of Britain. The Great Escape is classic.

The Patriot was weak though.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    True Grit - my faveorite John Wayne movie ever.

Outlaw Josie Wales/Hang 'Em High - both great Eastwood moveis.

What is the name of the Eastwood flick where the whole town thinks he was killed but he returns to defend the town from the three bandits. By the end he makes them paint the town red and then he deserts them, High Plains Drifter maybe?

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

When I was a kid, I saw two movies that I liked A LOT, but that was so long ago and maybe my impressions would be different now. Anyway, they're (In that order):

-"A Fistful of Dynamite" (1971) with Rod Steiger and James Coburn, directed by Sergio Leone. BTW, I don't remember why the Spanish title of this movie, translated to English, was "Green Table Heroes".

-"Keoma" (1976) with Franco Nero, directed by Enzo G. Castellari.

9. Hamburger hill
    The Big red one
    A Bridge too far is my alltime Favourite war movie pity they didn't go on
    The Deer hunter
    Rambo/Commando
    Pearl harbour
    Damn Brad beat me too most've them
    WESTERNS
    Dances with wolves
    last of the mohicans
    All Clint Eastwood movies esp.Outlaw josey wales
    The Alamo
    General custers last stand

10. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Yeah - that's High Plains Drifter - one of my favourites. It was on TV over here a couple of weeks ago, and I got in from seeing Million Dollar Baby just in time to see some classic Clint action :)

11. Westerns, hell yeah! As it happens, I´m having a western DVD marathon tonight with a friend of mine. He visited NY few weeks ago and brought with him a huge western box: 50 (fifty) DVDs :eek: While I´m sure most of the stuff in that set is pretty much forgettable, we share a certain philosophy about westerns: there is no such thing as a bad western, the whole concept is just foolproof. Some westerns are better than others (and some are WAY better), but they are all at least mildly enjoyable.

But if we talk about true classics, I´m going to go with the obvious ones:

Rio Bravo
    The Searchers
    Once Upon A Time In The West

Yeah, I know, they are on every "Critic´s Choice" list, but they are just that good. "Rio Bravo" is my sentimental favorite, one of the most entertaining movies ever made. I must have seen it at least a dozen times.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Technically those are all war movies. :p

brad cook

13. U-571 was garbage… The best movie of that genre is Wolfgang Petersen's "Das Boot" - the film stays very close to the book. Get the DVD and watch it listening to the director's commentary - a very interesting and moving film.

- Wil

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    One man's trash... I quite enjoyed it. Just because Das Boot was better doesn't diminish my enjoyment of U-571.

brad cook

15. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    A couple of more westerns:
    'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid' - George Roy Hill
    'Dead Man' - Jim Jarmusch

A couple of grim (anti-)war movies:
    'Come and see!" - (USSR) Elem Klimov, set in nazi-occupied Belarus 1943.
    'Unknown Soldier' - (Fin.) Rauni Mollberg, about the Finnish-Soviet winter war 1939-40.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I like that movie a lot. Definitely not one for everybody though as is the case with all Jarmusch films.

brad cook

17. Wow, I never thought anyone outside Finland would have seen that one! Actually it is a remake and while Mollberg´s movie isn´t bad, the original is - as usual - far superior. It was directed by Edvin Laine in the 50´s and is a Finnish institution: it is shown on TV every year on our independence day.

18. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I think it was shown in regular cinemas... or maybe I saw it in a film club... I don't remember.
    Didn't know it was a remake. Maybe I'll try to find the original version, though it may be difficult. :)

19. For recent WWII movies- The Thin Red Line is a good movie but it got overlooked because it came out on the heels of Shaving Ryan's Privates (it's also not as good). What also makes it interesting is that it's set in the Pacific Theater, a lot of issues to tackle there.

When talking about scary scenes in movies, the beach landing scene in Ryan is one of the most terrifying things I can imagine. Another really scary scene is in the Band of Brothers series, where they're crossing the river after capturing the German LP/OP. There's a machine gun firing towards the camera and it's firing tracers. What makes that so scary is that there's 5 rounds between every tracer.

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I also liked The Thin Red Line. I think it wasn't as popular because it was a little more on the abstract/artistic side which doesn't appeal to the mass moveigoer as much.

brad cook