1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Westone UM2 IEM questions

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by buldog5151bass, Nov 23, 2016.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I just bought a pair of Westone UM2 IEMs (Sweetwater has them on sale while they last for $179). As I have never used IEMS before, other than my audition I just had , I have two questions:

1. Which is better at giving you a good seal on stage - the foam or the rubber tips?

2. How sturdy are the cords - in other words, should I buy an extra to have if these are likely to break?

Thanks.

pacojas likes this.
  2. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    When I had to use them (I own a set of UM30s as spares and our church uses the UM20s and 30s), I found that the yellow foam tips fit better, although I had to replace them more often. And the country artist I play with prefers the foam tips, although I have to keep reminding her to keep them around.

And yes, what could be wrong with keeping a spare cable? When I broke the cable of my 1964 Quads, I had to borrow a set of UM30s from the church. I liked them well enough during that experience, I bought the set I mentioned above as a spare set of IEMs as well as a spare cable for my 1964s.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i think that's something you'll have to tell us.

it's gonna be different for each person. you'll need to try out all the different rubber tips while you're at it to find which ones work best, and don't be surprised if it ends up being different sizes in each ear.

Geri O likes this.
  4. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I plan to - I was just wondering in general which type of tip was better at isolating the sound.

5. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    When I used universals (UM-1's and others, for about a year) I tried every tip I could find.. however, due to ear canal size, none really worked well. I found the Comply tips (foam) to work the best for me.. but that's me... YMMV

I then moved to customs, yes.. not cheap, but for me the difference (due to seal, etc) was night and day for me on bass!

pacojas, Geri O and buldog5151bass like this.
  6. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    This pretty much mimics my experience. The customs were a night and day difference for me.

7. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I imagine, but at this point I am gigging a few times a month for not a huge amount of money. It would be like buying a Porsche to drive to a babysitting job next door.

8. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Agreed... I've posted quite a bit about IEM's..
    I always say that one needs to do what is best for the budget...
    If you gig once a month, a high-end PSM900/Senn G3 IEM wireless rig with UE11 or A12 (buds) probably isn't cost effective.
    However, DON'T CHEAP OUT - if you can afford good buds.

I'm certainly no expert, but I generally recommend dual drivers - at a minimum - for a bassists.. so you can get the low end split. Single drivers simply do not cut it for bass, and when you put a mono mix into single drivers.. it all turns to mush before too long and folks end up hating IEM's..

hufe and buldog5151bass like this.