Whappo vs. Schroeder

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Black 'n Tan, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think I have narrowed down my cab choice to these two brands. I have an Aguilar DB750 and a Spector Euro 5.

Regardless of the brand I pick, I will ultimately want a stack of two matching cabs for maximum air displacement.

How does the tone and the other sonic characteristics compare on these beasts?
  2. Man I hope you have some ear plugs.....
    There is most likely some threads already on this one if you care to search
  3. Bassossorus

Oct 21, 2004
    i am currently using a db 750 with an el whappo/ tri 210 stack. all i can say is what mark told me: david dyson was doing a sound check out in nappa using the el whappo/ tri 210 stack. marcu miller happened to be there and apparently flipped... said he had never heard anything like that.

how sick is that!

....the aggie mates perfectly with the accugrooves (either alone or both together) i whole heartedly reccomend the accugrooves.
  4. how would you describe the tone / feel of the tri210 stack with the db750?
  5. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    That is a great rig! You really cant ask for a better setup, imo. :bassist:
  6. Total agreement here, although I find a single El Whappo sufficient with my DB750.
  7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    This post is, of course, just one person's opinion.

Your personal tastes may vary.
  8. lo-freq ....

that was VERY helpful, thank you.

looks like Schroeder-ville will be visiting my household sometime soon ... gotta scrape some benjamins together!
  9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Whoa- how did I miss that post in the Schroeder Super Thread?? :) That's awesome! And couldn't agree more.
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    a friend in FL has the 750 and Whappo, and says its like gigging with a wrecking ball. his guitarist actually went out and bought a 4x12 cab just to keep up. :smug:

and great link, LQ. i think that thread needs a search function all its own. :p
  11. Cool link Lo-freq. :smug:

I just went back and re-read it. I still stand behind everything I said. However..... Moving the Schroeders around can really change the sound that comes out of them. With the 1210 underneath the 21012 the low end is "bigger" than with the 1210 on top of 21012. It's bigger... without losing punch or bite. My 1210 has a smoother tweeter than the 21012. Not that the 21012's is harsh.. it's NOT.

For real "presence" on stage... I put a cab on each side of the drummer.... Oh YEAH!! :bassist:
  12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I agree.

Lately, I've been setting my 410 on it's side with the angled baffle angled upwards -- even more onstage cut-through.
  13. Bassossorus

Oct 21, 2004
  14. CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    i am the happy owner of a 21012, but i must say that i don't think of the comparison as fair. cab manufacturers have a budget. accugroove obviously has a much higher budget to work with to build a whappo than jorg has to build one of his cabs. no matter how much magic goes into the design the components take money and more money buys better components. (i will say that jorg schroeder seems to have used the entire can of fairy dust on his line!!) the accugroove is obviously topps in quality, and i am glad that there are people out there that have the nads to build a line of bass cabinets of that magnitude. i just think from a price stand point it would be a fairer comparison of one el whappo to two 21012's. design wise when you figure in the amount of money that both manufacturers had to work with, i would slightly give the nodd to jorg schroeder.

that said i think a whappo jr. would look really swell next to my schroeder, but thats just the gas talking. has anyone ever gigged with a combination of the two. might be the best of both worlds.
  15. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

Since I can't try either of these cabs before I buy...most of my insight to these cabs are from this forum. I've been seriously contemplating the Accugroove Tri110L on top of a Schroeder 1210....small, but potent setup. Do you guys in the know, think this would be a good combo for a dedicated top and bottom cab?

There's a great deal on a Tri210L on ebay right now BTW...
  16. i just noticed that Jack Read of Read Custom is the one selling that... crazy
  17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I think Jack said something about becoming an Accugroove dealer awhile ago. Nice looking cabinet.

- Art
  18. When you say "it would be a fairer comparison of one el whappo to two 21012's" do you mean that the Whappo is that much louder?
  19. CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    no i don't mean that at all. i'm saying that the whappo costs over two grand and the schroeder costs under $1000. the builders both had a certain amount of money to build their cab, and accugroove had probably twice as much money to build their cab. so the fairest comparison design-wise would be if jorg built a $2000 schroeder. sound-wise the comparison may be slightly different. personal taste rules this arena. personally i think the schroeder might even be a little louder than the accugroove but the accugroove is a little more efficient in the low range. two 21012's would probably put a hurting on a single whappo with the same amount of money.
  20. gotcha ....

good info, thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.