1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What’s the cheapest bass you’ve been/are amazed with?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Inconnu, Oct 4, 2018.

1. While I will admit, it has had some modification, I bought a Squier Vintage Modified Short Scale Jaguar Bass a few years ago, and never looked back. The fit and finish are way nicer than the $179 price tag, and with a good setup, a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound P/J set that I had lying around, and a set of LaBella flatwounds, it sounds amazing and is so much easier to play than my Ibanez and Yamaha long scale basses. I doubt that I will ever go back.

2. Polfuste

Polfuste

Sep 10, 2010
    South France
    An ol' 96' Squier jazzbass crafted in Korea. All stock, it has a really nice sound, and the most comfortable neck i never played.

3. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie

Mar 10, 2007
    Queretaro
    I found this MIM P @ GC for $120... a tune up, twice as much in parts and it has been my main axe for 10 years!
    F53041C9-46D1-4D79-A18A-2099CAADBFC8.

4sight and Zoobiedood like this.
  4. Are those Duncan QPs? What a steal! Congrats!

5. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie

Mar 10, 2007
    Queretaro
    Yup... QPs indeed

Zoobiedood likes this.
  6. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Ibanez Mikro-until the Precision pickup stopped working. Probably the pot.

7. Right on! I did the same with my Squier PJ and it sounds great. After the setup, it plays/sounds better than some Fender basses I have fiddled with. Love it!

Uncle Ernie likes this.
  8. danster

danster

Jul 13, 2007
    Connecticut, USA
    Recently bought a Squier VM 70's Jazz in white. $350 at MF. Very nice quality, sound and overall value!

9. CaptAhab

CaptAhab

Apr 20, 2018
    Colorado
    Charvel 1 B from mid 80s. It sounds close to a Fender Precision. Cost me $200, I've seen it a little cheaper online but I was able to test drive it locally. Interesting history of Charvel guitars/basses on you tube.

10. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit

May 10, 2018
    1st gen Peavey Grind 4-string, the ones with the scalloped lower horn (better access for popping they said). I don't know what bass gods they have in Vietnam, but that bass had the sweetest tone! Passive, with vol/tone controls for each p/u. It was a neck-thru, 5-pc laminate, not sure what wood, but the body was imbuia (aka Brazilian walnut). It is not of the walnut family, but...mmm, delicious. Played really well too. I swore I'd never own another Peavey anything, until I played the Grind. $225. Wish I still had it...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 11:01 AM
  11. Fred Fratto

Fred Fratto

Jan 31, 2018
    Chi-town
    none
    my last 2 were $500 and under (if that qualifies) and are: a Warwick (made in China) but it's a real Purdy natural satin, 5 string, had it reset at the local Guitar Center at no charge (since I bought online via their website) and a Spector (made in Korea) burgundy stain 5 string, and only put on new strings after a week (only out of procedure, since I'm just that way) and they both play & sound great. Nothing wrong with either. And both have a very nice sound of their own. Very happy. PS, I'm only playing through a 20 yr old Ampeg 50W 1-12 combo, and these 2 basses sound better than a modified Mexican P-Bass (stock pickup, but no complaints about that sound at all, but changed the bridge to a "Badass Mk II" which makes it stay in tune PERFECTLY ! love that bridge ! ) bought that bass in 1998, still plays & sounds great. brand new was $400 back then, and it only needed a $100 modification to make it absolutely perfect. How times have changed !

12. lespaulbass

lespaulbass

Jul 27, 2018
    Epiphone basses.
    One is a hollow body, the other a viola type.
    Both are excellent.

13. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    CE2F1D6B-DBB2-4D57-95F2-4AFA5A1E5949.
    A 16 year old Squier with a new Chinese Neck MIM Tuning Machines. Paid for it with a $99 pedal. Totally love this bass.

14. bruce3119

bruce3119

Apr 18, 2013
    "Amazed" might be too strong a word, but I'm a weekend warrior on the road during the week with my day gig. I was looking for something to take on the road so I wouldn't risk having one of my "good" basses damaged or stolen. I picked up an Ibanez gsrm25 mikro bass, and have been pleasantly surprised. It's short scale (makes for easy packing), and I had to mess with the bridge to shore up intonation, but it sounds great and works fine to learn tunes on the road for weekend gigs.

15. DALE GINGERY

DALE GINGERY

Mar 20, 2017
    Georgia
    Sarzo signature bass I picked up for $300.00 and a fender lyte I picked up for $200.00.

16. FletchGordon

FletchGordon

Jul 5, 2016
    I have the same bass and LOVE IT!!

17. Me 3!

18. JeffG667

JeffG667 NO SANDALS OR CARGO SHORTS ONSTAGE..EVER!! Supporting Member

A couple of folks have already talked about the Ibanez SR 500. I just picked up a practically new one for $190 the other day. Took the neck off and spray painted the body and headstock flat black in about a half hour, -instead of that hideous brown- and I have a machine. It’s the model with the BART eq-apparently some don’t now. Ibanez makes their own. But my absolutely all time score was a 1979 Tobaccoburst Gibson G-3 for $106 in High School. Shouldve never sold it. Love those!!

19. genendeddie

genendeddie

Thursday
    Vintage reissued VJ74, in metallic candy apple red , ash body, maple neck & Wilkinson hardware & pups . I'd heard a bit about them & needed a jazz in a hurry . Absoulute beauty of a guitar, better than any Fender (mex) or Squier I've ever owned . The kicker ?? £84 brand new on ebay including a gig bag & next day delivery !!

Attached Files: