1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What amp are you using to drive your crazy 8/88?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Vladimirwolfe, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Vladimirwolfe

Vladimirwolfe

Jan 30, 2013
    I'm looking for an amp to use with my double bass and my soon to be born 8/88 combo. I currently have a K & K Bass Max pickup but looking to possibly go to an Ehrlund. I do have Fdeck's HPF v.3. I'm currently considering the AI Clarus, the EA Doubler and the EA iAmp. What are your experiences or alternate suggestions?

TIA,

Doug

2. I'm using an Aguilar TH500 with my Crazy8. I love it! It's perfect for my small to mid-sized room gypsy jazz and roots country sans-drum gigs, and I love how it opens up when I add another speaker to bring the impedance to 4Ω for louder stuff. Super responsive and punchy, warm and full.

If I'm not mistaken, the 88 is 4Ω, so together the 8/88 would bring the impedance to 2.6Ω, below the rating for the Aguilar. The Doubler is rated down to 2Ω, right? Is Arnopol building your cabs? Sounds like he's loving the Puma.

3. It's not a popular head but its a great one ! The pjb d200 works great for small venues and you can find they used at a great value. I do use the great hpf 3 with it. You can run the amp wide open if you have to with surprising volume.

4. Clarkybass

Clarkybass Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2010
    I have an AI Clarus (removable in Ten2 combo) and an EA Micro that I have used with my Ehrlund pickup/pre and a Crazy 8. Both sound good although I have a preference for the Clarus as it seems a touch warmer, while still retaining a clear sound. Both have more than enough power.