1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what amp for small jazz gigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pbass888, Apr 16, 2010.

1. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    hi im picking up the bass after a 20+ year "rest measure" . After a year of woodshedding im playing with a few jazz musicians and mostly acoustic instruments such as a sax trumpet drums and piano. Small gigs of restaurants and also rehersals. Any suggestion on an amp for this? I play a mm sterling with flatwounds and we play pretty much jazz standards. I would like a separate cab and amp. What would be a good amp for these situation that is easy to cart around and also reasonably priced.

Would love to get suggestions as to what might be appropriate.

Thank you in advance!!:)

2. mizzou541

mizzou541

Jan 8, 2010
    MO
    [​IMG]

3. spankyc52

spankyc52

Jul 16, 2009
    OKC, Oklahoma
    what price range???

4. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    I use one of these extention cabinets with an AI Clarus SL. You might find the combo attractive. At 26 lbs it's easy to carry or toss on a luggage cart. 150w is plenty for a jazz gig & 100w may well be enough for what you're doing.

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_mb_series.html

The Hartke Kickback 12 weighs nearly 20 lbs more but will cost much less. I have a KB 15 which sounds very good but doesn't go very far without a luggage cart or other wheels.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=30&brandID=3

Now when the AI drives the GK 12 + the 15" speaker from the Hartke, it makes a very satisfying sound, indeed. Plus removing the amp from the Hartke (2 screws) lightens the load by 12+ lbs. :cool:

5. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I love the Genz Shuttle 6.0/12 combo. It is great sounding for Jazz hits and will even handle a blues gig if the band doesn't play stupid loud with a lot of flair. It is also my favorite EUB amp

6. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Depends on your definition of "reasonable." My current "jazz" rigs:

tcmb1.

Markbass LMTube head ($679 - 7lbs)
    TC RH450 head ($900 - 9lbs)
    Bergantino AE112 cabinet ($649 ea 31lbs)

I only take one cab (and in fact am selling the second 112 as I got a 210 for my second cab for funk/louder gigs) and one head. This setup will play most any room at pretty high volumes if necessary, and sounds huge.

"Reasonable price" to me means buying something that I love and won't be flipping in a few weeks/months because I tried to save money and compromise. My last bass rig lasted 10 years (swtiched to go lightweight). I'm hoping this will be stable for another 10.

7. powerbass

powerbass Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    Gens Benz Shuttle 3.0-8T, 13 lbs. I play in a couple of jazz ensembles EUB and this little combo can handle it no problem. It is a great combo!

8. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    Accoustic has a 100w cab/head combo that is small, light, will knock pictures off the wall, and is only $300. Model 260. Check it out! Great for smaller venues!

9. Definitely some options above that I'd put an "I second that!" on top. I love my Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0-12T. 32 lbs and a small footprint, and it sounds terrific with nearly all of my basses...and certainly the ones I use on small group jazz hits.

That said - I recently picked up to Bergantino 112 cabs, and I can't get over the shakes from just thinking about them. :D I'm using my Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 and absolutely love the sound.

Budget numbers would definitely help - there are literally dozens of options out there and a dollar figure would help narrow things down. Obviously I'd also suggest running your bass through as many different rigs as possible to see which ones speak to you. Good luck, and welcome back to active playing!

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 for the GB Shuttles. Though i personally prefer the Mesa Walkabout, the Shuttles have the best sound to cost ratio in the biz. Top shelf gear, too.

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You really ought to audition the Mesa Walkabout.

12. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I'll second the vote on the Walkabout.

GB Shuttle gear is ok if you like their sound (kinda dry and neutral to my ears), but the Mesa Walkabout is such a sweet warm amp for jazz, IMO/IME nothing touches it.

But really, all personal bias aside :cool:, you should try and audition some of the available gear and see what hits your ears best.

I play small jazz gigs (duo/trio/quartet) doing stds, all the time with my Walkabout and 4 string Jazz bases (fretted and fretless), and can personally and wholeheartedly vouch for how well it just works in that format.

good luck, welcome back - you'll be astounded at the amazing gear choices that bass players have these days.

but most of all, enjoy!

13. Mesa 400+ with a few 810s

14. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Audition Markbass at Guitar Center.

I play a lot of small venue gigs with an ensemble that's mostly acoustic instruments, and I play a Stingray 5 fretless. I use the 1x12 combo that has the Mini Mark head integrated (300/500w). The sound is uncolored and warm, and I rarely have to turn the master volume up past 3 out of 10. You can buy the head separately and get the NY 121 cab... it's incredibly light and makes for one trip from car to stage. After 35 years of playing, I can't speak highly enough of the Markbass gear. It just sounds great.

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Guitar Center also carry the Mesa Walkbout (or at least show it on line); so if there's one near you, you could a/b the MB and Mesa stuff.

I like and use an MB F1; but I don't care for their cabs, at least compared to what I already have and use; so I didn't consider them.

16. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I really like the EA Micro head conbined with a bag End S15X-D. I used that most of last year doing a combo of acoustic new-grass and jazz standards. Both are generally available in the GFS here ... with maybe a 2 week wait...

17. pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    you guys are awesome! im on my way to the houston local gc and will report back findings post haste!Thank you very much again.

18. pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    I went to gc today and saw the following/played the following amps
    1. gk
    2. ampeg
    3. acoustic
    4. markbass

I was very impressed by the sound of the markbass. Seemed a cut above.The price was very high for a small combo (this one http://tinyurl.com/y7yaz4m) but boy did it sound great. I played my musicman sterling hs (mia) with la bella flats. It was much better sounding than all the rest. However for the same approx wattage/amps it was about 2 times the price? Is this worth it. Thats a lot of restaurant gigs for a non professional but perhaps folks here can fill me in.

I love the clear lows and relatively tight mids. The bass cut through all the guitar players at the gc playing loud out of tune 6 string machines.Any thoughts on these , they had a similiar 1x15 markbass jeff berlin model but of course they were not able to make it work.

Well im leaning to the markbass and as a distant second a gk (this http://tinyurl.com/y379omt)
    Any thoughts im put off by the price of $1100 but is there a better option they did not have the Walkabout and maybe this is way overkill and i should be looking at a much smaller cheaper setup?

Thank you

19. One other thing you might want to check out is the Phil Jones Super Flightcase combo. Great sound, plenty of volume for the type of gigs you describe and only weighs 33 pounds.

-edit- oops, sorry I didn't see that you were looking for a separate cab and head. Acme B-1 cabs are very cool and reasonably priced, and then there are several micro-heads that sound great: Eden, Markbass, GK, etc.

20. pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    Thank you Jim I will take a look im not so sure now that im looking for sep or combos. I heard great things about phil jones.
    thanks again