What amperage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I'm putting together my first rack mount system, and am putting a power conditioner in it, but what amperage should I select - 15 or 20 amp? The equipment is an Ampeg SVP1600, Ampeg SVT-CL, Alesis 3630 Compressor/Gate and MidiVerb4, Aphex 204, and Korg DTR2000 (all this going through a Schroeder 21012, just ordered today :cool: )
  2. jdagger

Nov 21, 2004
    I didn't run all the numbers but I think you are sitting at around 11 amps full throttle on this rig. Doubtful you will ever see that kind of amperage draw. So will 15 work for you? Most likely yes. The Industrial Engineer I work with tells me most wall outlets are rated for 15 amps.

Hope this Helps
  3. wouldhe

Dec 22, 2004
    Does anyone know how to figure amperage as it pertains to multiple cabinets (for example).
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I don't know computations, but for example, I use a furman PM-8 with ammeter in my rack. QSC PLX3002 power amp, Eden Navigator pre, a rackmount Korg tuner, and the power to my pedalboard (four units) run through two 410 cabs.

The ammeter stays on at 2 amps, blinks at 4 amps when the loudest notes are pushed. That's nowhere near as much draw as I would "assume" the rig would draw.
  5. jdagger

Nov 21, 2004
    There is an excellent FAQ in this forum that will take you a long way towards understanding cab ohms and power output.

I don't know how to add links yet so do a search on "ohms FAQ" It was written by IvanMike I believe. I hope this helps get you started. Feel free to get in touch if you want more detail.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    this would be the thread - click me

thanks Jdagger, awful nice of ya. :cool: