1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what amps best for slap?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Kax, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Kax

Kax

Aug 30, 2007
    :help: Im getting my used engelhardt em-1 on the sixth and i plan on using the k&k rockabilly slap pick up and i have no idea which amp to buy... im looking at the ampeg rockit 220watt, the gk 600 backline with the 410 cab, the ashdown 300watt combo and a swr workingpro combo... thanks for reading

2. eleveniseven

eleveniseven Guest

Apr 29, 2007
    thats a good question, id like to seem some posts showing what some people are playing, i am really having trouble finding that modern tone like victor gets, also they seem to tap or slap and get a solid sound with such ease, i always feel like im beating the hell out of my poor bass..lol

3. The best amp I have ever used to get the 'authentic' (ie sounds like the records) swing/rockabilly/rnb sound is a re-issue B15R flip-top. Massive sound. Just far too heavy (115lbs) for my wrists and back.

4. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I'm not particular into the modern slap tone, but whenever I talk to people who love that tone, they always give high praise to the EBS Fafner...

5. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Just to clarify, we're talkin' slap upright bass here I believe.

FWIW, I don't slap the big girl. But I did own a SWR WM 15 for a while, and I did not think it worked real well for DB for me at least. Then again, I was trying to get an old school pizz jazz sound out of it, a la Ray Brown. Since then however I've learned a whole lot more about amplifying the DB, both from TB and from on the job experience. I probably could get a better sound out of it now, but it's long gone.

Maybe you could post over in this DB forum too.

6. Kax

Kax

Aug 30, 2007
    Who makes the b-15 flip top? vintage tone would be nice to have.

7. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    Will the amp be used for gigging or just personal use? What kind of strings will you use? When playing URB, stay away from tubes as a general rule. I use a mark bass little mark II and EA cabs. I did use a GK with GK cabs. For strings I use eurosonic lights (preferred) or supernils and have no problem getting a good slap tone.

8. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Ampeg. They make a re-issue now I believe. Probably not quite the same as the original that is held in high regard by many. It was and still is a studio staple for electric bass.

9. Kax

Kax

Aug 30, 2007
    I am a beginer and like the tiltback and the ashdown counterpart. i dont know about strings.. the guy at the shop said there were supersensitive strings on it... thanks for the help guys.The ampeg has one preamp tube.. enought to hurt ya? ill be playing for my self for a whille but would really like to get out and play some small gigs

10. It was the reissue that I was referring to. Forget about "my bass sound only lounder", just think about the sound on those old vinyl recordings, and that is what you will get.

Only louder as they are now 100 watts.

11. Of these choices I would go Ashdown. The ampeg and SWR working pro is not enough volume and therefore is too small for most my needs, and the backline 4x10 doesn't have enough mids/highs (no tweeter). I had one it just didn't sound that great, and much less efficient (volume per watt) than most other speaker cabs. I've tried a couple 2x10 cabs louder than the backline 4x10.

I've owned a couple and tried to use the b15 flip top, It's great for motown, and R&B etc w/ electric bass, but for Rockabilly and a K&K setup, it's a pitiful (yet very expensive) choice. What's warm smooth and thick w/ electric bass is tubby, muddy, w/ no high end or definition for RAB bass, plus it will feedback easily at relatively low volumes. On the old rockabilly records what you are hearing is a MIC'ed bass, therefore the sound you are looking for is a flat uncolored dynamic sound, not a thick compressed "rolled off high end" tube amp. For a vintage rockabilly tone on an Upright what you need is a very modern sounding amp. Lots of power and flat frequency response.

My advice, go to Rockabillybass.com and join TODAY!

Johnny

12. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    +1

FWIW, I've been playing through a GK800RB which has the bi-amp feature that I think some people make use of for the slap (I don't).

But I bought an Ashdown Mag 300 last week and am looking forward to taking it on a test drive.

13. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Best amp I've heard for upright slap is the Mesa Boogie Scout 15 combo. I saw a country bassist using one in at a cafe where I worked and that thing had an amazing punch you could feel on every slap. Good bottom end without being boomy, and clear definition in the mids/highs. Not sure what kind of bass/pickup the guy was using.

14. Interesting. I used a reissue flip top in Finland, courtesy of Mika from the Barnshakers. They had an awesome sound (Slingerland Radioking drums, old Fender amp for guitar, etc etc) and the bass sounded huge, warm, defined. Maybe it just a case of what works for some players/basses doesn't work at all for others. I loved the flip-top. If I had a roadie and a lazy 2 grand (in that order :D ) I'd buy one tomorrow.

I guess the moral of the story when choosing an amp is to try out as many as you can to find the one for you.

15. Maybe they're playing a LOT quieter than I/my band do/does, a 50 watt tube amp like the flip top is gonna be compressing and distorting cranked up to the volume I play at. Definitely NOT something i want w/ my upright, I want pure uncolored sound. I want it so sound as much like my bass as possible (remember the old records was a MIC'ed bass, not an amplified bass). If you wanting an old school rockabilly sound. Are they cool, hell yeah, do they sound good Hell yeah (for certain things), just not at all for the rockabilly upright sound i need.

Johnny