1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are Fender 8250 taperwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by reptocarl, Oct 27, 2018.

1. reptocarl

reptocarl

Nov 3, 2017
    what are they for? How do they sound?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    What do you think they're for?

Mili likes this.
  3. reptocarl

reptocarl

Nov 3, 2017
    For an electric bass obviously but I meant what style music do the suit

4. You mean Fender 9120 Tapewound? 8250s are nickel-plated steel.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread the title. You're actually talking about the 8250 nickel-plated-steel with the TAPERWOUND E string.

5. reptocarl

reptocarl

Nov 3, 2017
    Yes a taperwound E and B. What is a taperwound string?

6. Taperwound E string is designed for thru-body installation and the tapered portion is supposed to go over the saddle instead of the main part of the .110 E string. Otherwise, they are nickel-plated steel rounds on a round core and not necessarily for any specific style of music.

iVZVxSLNbcW8bME9NQNLU8PqD1pg6ed5odj9UFT5TKD3Gw1UFocx_LlIIYJUj-HWn4QCXj73QBHFr1JH3D=w1024-h540-no.

7. Here's a pic that shows tapered B and E:

BDUmILjszmBQ-IGZFTKBsmTwKYMwFsYJQywda9QkalCajYx0qxbuarwzWleKls5vZ7WcuMXyV-ljrfjDvn6=w640-h480-no.

8. reptocarl

reptocarl

Nov 3, 2017
    Oh ok. Thank you very much

9. vonbladet

vonbladet

Nov 30, 2017
    East Belgium
    Thundar likes this.
  10. deste

deste

Sep 14, 2009
    Bologna, Italy, Europe
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    Do they make a tapirwound fiver?

11. Yes. They are round cores and nickle plated steel. I have used them in the past and are not bad strings, but preferred regular wounds.

12. Bought a set a few weeks ago and on the package it says hex core.

They are good strings. Nothing special but very solid. Similar to D'Addario Nickels. The .110 E is a good match for the rest of the set.

13. I haven't used them since they started making them in the U.S. Evidently they changed some specs during that time.

14. Where on the package does it actually say "hex core"? Are you talking about the new white packaging or the old black/red one?

15. The new white one.

16. Just curious because the old black/red package didn't say either round core or hex core anywhere. Haven't had a chance to look at the back side of the new white packaging, though. Would you be able to post a pic of where it actually says "hex core"?

17. pjbassist

pjbassist Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    IMO, worst idea since "New Coke". Had a 5 string Jazz Bass with Taperwound strings and had it set up to use them...per the spec. Kept...breaking...the...B...string. Every, single, time...right at the Taperwound area at the bridge. Couldn't buy just ONE Taperwound B string, so each time I was buying an entire set...I was furious! Called a Fender rep to complain, he basically said "Sorry dude, you're SOL, thats the new design" Traded it on my 1st G&L L-2000, best decision I ever made.

18. Sure. There you go.

19. I was surprised too, since the reason buying them was me thinking they're round core. But they weren't terribly stiff for hex core in these gauges. I might buy them in the future again since they're reasonably priced and sound fine. I like them more than D'Addario EXL although I know D'Addario makes them.