1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What are great basses with a really low resale value?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tupac, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Used bass prices are not created equal. Fenders for example, have a high resale value. Now what are some great basses (or companies) with a really low resale value that you can make a huge saving by buying used?

2. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Ibanez has HORRIBLE resale value, even for their higher end stuff.

3. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Can`t beat used Peaveys

4. USA Peaveys are an astounding value. IOW, they have a horrible resale value.

Great basses for the money, though.

5. tminus10

tminus10 Supporting Member

May 1, 2011
    Seattle
    I'd say Alembic. Alot of them, like the Essence for example, have a retail price of over $7000 but sell used for around $2000 give or take. Thats a pretty big difference.

6. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Warwick?

7. Sometimes I feel anything but Fender (and MIJ Squiers ) have horrible resale values... Maybe EBMMs also have good resale values. SX have good resale values as they are cheap already :).

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Yep. a $5,000 new bass will maybe catch $2,000 used.

9. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    Carvin

10. xxx666

xxx666

Jan 12, 2008
    Australia
    Endorsing Artist G&L Guitars
    I would say G&L but its all about supply and demand.... and here in Australia the strength of the Aussie $$$ has driven the price of nearly every brand down new & used.....

11. Gibsons arent the greatest reseller, its hard to get 900$ for a 1500$ t bird.

12. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    Westone

Tabdog

13. USA Peavey

14. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    A custom specked Carvin gets NO love when selling. I never can get over how a USA bass with quality components and craftsmanship can have such rotten resale. Peavey USA is probably a close 2nd. I often wonder where peoples heads are when they buy something off-shore that doesn't compare, just because it's the flavor of the week :rollno:

15. G&L used to be the absolute best buy on the used market. They are still low compared to Leo's other vintage instruments but they certainly have gone up. I think the days of finding an early 80's L-1000 for $600-$700 are over.

16. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Wishbass

17. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Not true. Most Wishbasses end up refinished, and some of them go for over twice the original price.

18. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Just about any Warmoth bass will bring back penneys on the dollar in a resale.

Some basses you just don't buy brand new if you can avoid it due to a $3000 to $5000 loss in value from new to used, Alembic and German Warwicks come to mind. Seems just about any bass is going to drop about 50% or more in value once used so if you think you'll ever sell it, buy it used and save yourself a lot of money.

19. fjb62

fjb62

Aug 27, 2010
    I agree, Carvins, for being such a quality instrument, have really poor resale.

20. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Feb 16, 2011
    South Carolina
    Peavey and G&L for sure........warmoth true too